Traveling a day before breast lift?

I'm a 38 DDD and I'm planning on getting a breast lift this year with out implants. But since I'm in school I don't have much time off so I wanted to know is it okay to fly in the day before this kind of surgery and leaving 3 days after?

Traveling Before and After Breast Lift

Certainly you can fly in the day before:  avoid dehydration.  Flying out 3 days later is less certain.  Discuss this in detail with your surgeon.  It may depend on how long the flight is, and I would recommend that you are checked post-op prior to leaving to go back to school.  Best of luck!

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your inquiry. This is a great question for the board certified surgeon that will be performing your procedure. Typically you are able to travel before your surgery, even the day before. My patients who travel from out of town are given specific instructions regarding traveling after surgery, including lifting requirements and other activity limitations. Best of luck to you!

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift priority

Make sure you drink water on your flight, move your calves every hour, and avoid alcoholic beverages and smoking. You'll be fine. Good luck, no heavy lifting for at least 10 days after surgery.

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Travel and breast lift

Traveling the day before, no problem. 3 days after depends on the advice of your surgeon.  Clearly no heavy lifting (even into the overhead compartment) and definitely minimizing any straining.  I also ask my patients where, flight time, conections and related to potential medical facilities where they are going (ie, no safari's for instance).  Clear this one with your surgeon ahead of time.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Traveling before surgery

It should be fine to travel the day before surgery.  As others have mentioned, stay hydrated.  If it's a long flight, get up and move around or wear compression socks.  Flying back after surgery is more subjective depending on the length of the flight.  Best to check with your plastic surgeon for his/her recommendation regarding when it's ok to fly home.  Make sure to plan ahead for how you will handle follow up appointments or any complications.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

#BreastLift #BreastReduction - Traveling a day before breast lift?

Great question.

You have to be careful about traveling around the time of surgery.  You don't want (in general) to be dehydrated for the surgery and processes that cause that (exercise, flying) increase certain risks, such as blood clot formation.  If you're going to fly within 24 hours of your surgery, make sure to stay well hydrated during the flight (with water, not alcohol), get up and move around every few hours and consider massaging your calves during the flight and/or wearing elastic compressive garments (not too tight, though). During surgery you will be hydrated (intravenously) and you'll (most likely) have compression to your calves.

In terms of travel after your surgery, the same general rules apply although you should talk to your plastic surgeon about the timing.  He or she will probably want to see you after the surgery and you should be prepared to stay longer than three days if necessary.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Breast lift

I discuss travel with my patients, particularly the ones coming in from out of town. The flight coming in to our practice and prior to surgery is really not an issue. You must consider and drink plenty of water on your flights because you do not want to form a DVT. Leaving three days after surgery has to be discussed with your plastic surgeon, and may or may not be appropriate.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Traveling a day before breast lift

No worries regarding flying in the day before surgery. Stay well hydrated on this day because you will not be able to drink fluids or eat anything after midnight before surgery.
You will need to discuss with your surgeon in detail your expected post operative care. It may not be wise to fly a long distance away only three days after surgery. I wish you the best.

Michael Beasley, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and flying

I think that it is OK to fly in.  As for flying out a few days after surgery that is probably not a good idea. Most surgeons would want you to stay in town for 1-2 weeks.  

Breast Lift Question

It should be ok to travel the day before your surgery. You will need to talk to your surgeon about how soon you can travel afterwards. It will depend on a number of factors. Good luck!