Does a trained technician usually do the zeltiq treatment? (photos)

I found a facility with a current deal. It's a medical practice owned by the same doctor who is a gyn, but it is the cosmetic office connected. I've done research. I feel like it can't really be messed up? I want to do my inner thighs. I'm 5'5 112lbs and I'm a fitness won't go away! I gave already had 6 treatments of Venus freeze over a 3 month period.

Treating provider varies by office

Thank you for your great question. Each office is different, and you will find many offices where a technician performs the CoolSculpting treatment, and others where the physician (MD) performs it. Technically, since it is a Class 2 device, a physician does not have to be the person to do it; however, there still needs to be medical supervision for the treatment.

In my office, I perform all of the CoolSculpting treatments, but this was due to my strong preference to be the providing physician for all procedures performed at my practice.

Warren Oculoplastic Surgeon

Trained technician

Coolsculpting is a class 2 device which requires medical supervision to perform. The level of expertise for the technician will vary from office to office.

To ensure that the technician is trained, you should ensure that the facility is certified for Coolsculpting which you find from Zeltiq's website The technician who will be performing the treatment should be the regular technician and he or she has performed a large number of treatments. 

Medical supervision will vary from office to office. In our center, I will examine the patients and perform the consultations. I will mark the patient prior to treatment, and answer any questions during and after treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Use a Well Experienced Technician for your CoolSculpting

Dear Glitteratinyc:

Thanks for sharing your photos.

CoolSculpting is an art and a science! While the complications are very uncommon, they do exist and disappointment is high if CoolSculpting is not performed correctly.  

Consult the most qualified, well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to examine you and provide the best options for YOU! A well trained and just as importantly well experienced CoolSculpting technician, RN or MD are crucial to get your best response.

I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Like any technology, it is very important that you have a skilled provider perform the treatment.  While it is very safe and effective in the right patient, there are many nuances to the treatment such as placement of the device, the number of sessions or "stacked" sessions to improve the results (off label), etc.  For this reason, even though we are one of the largest Coolsculpting practices in Manhattan and have 2 devices so that patients can have 2 areas treated at once, only our Aesthetician who is Coolsculpting expert and trainer for the company is allowed to actually perform the procedure.    Having had the device since it was first approved by the FDA, we found that having a very skilled person providing the treatments greatly influences the outcomes and the smiles on our patients' faces.  In addition, we are able to offer patients who need further skin tightening or other treatments, exactly what they need.  For example, if multiple Coolsculpting treatments are needed in one area and there is some skin laxity, Thermi Tight can be used to tighten the skin for the best, non invasive final result.  Having a plastic surgeon and skin specialists allows us to customize each body area as needed.  In some patients, I've even injected Sculptra in certain areas of the body for volume and skin tightening while they're having Coolsculpting in a different area.

I hope that's not too confusing and helps.  Remember, these devices are terrific technologies but it's the way they are customized to the patient that creates the difference between an OK result and a terrific result.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Inner Thighs

Coolsculpting for the inner thighs is fabulous! Most doctors do not have the special piece for it. The new cool fit applicator works extremely well on making your inner thighs thinner. You look like the perfect candidate since you are thin and active and in great shape already. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with this technology for the best cosmetic results. 

Coolsculpting can be done poorly in the wrong hands

Dear Glitteratinyc, I know its always nice to find a deal and while to the simple observer it seems like Coolsculpting is an easy procedure to perform, there are many steps at which things can go wrong or done in a way that prevents you from getting the best result possible. Remember this technology was invented by two Harvard dermatologists so that should tell you that at the very least you should be assessed and evaluated by a physician that has training in treating fat non-invasively. I can not tell you how many poor Coolsculpting results I have seen performed. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Who Does The CoolSculpting Treatments?

Hi G. Actually, CoolSculpting can be messed up if it's not done by experienced providers. We have seen plenty of clients who come to us with less than optimal results because incorrect applicators were used, or they were used in the wrong areas. That's why it's important to go to a place that does a lot of CoolSculpting treatments and view their before and after pictures. CoolSculpting is now FDA-approved for reduction of inner thigh fat, and your inner thighs should be treatable. The question would be which applicators would fit you best and how many treatments will you need. At our practice, I personally see all CoolSculpting clients in consultation and develop the treatment plans myself. This has given us superior results. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

always important to see a doctor or at least a PA before any procedure to ensure you understand all risks, benefits, and alternatives to any procedure

Coolsculpting Doctor or Technician/Nurse

There are inherent risks and things that can go wrong with any procedure. I think that a consultation with a plastic surgeon is a good idea. Sometimes, coolsculpting may not be the ideal procedure to address your concerns. A plastic surgeon will be able to offer you a variety of options and discuss the risks and benefits of each one.

Does a trained technician usually do the Zeltiq (CoolSculpting) treatment?

There are some offices where a physician may perform the CoolSculpting treatment and some offices where a non-physician would perform the treatment.  You should check with the facility that you are considering for your treatment to see who would be performing the procedure.  If you prefer being treated by a physician, you may need to check with a few places to find one or just ask at the facility you want to go to if you can be treated by a physician there.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon