How satisfied should I be after my breast lipo?Has my situation gone from bad to worse?What are those new conical lumps? (photo)

About 8 weeks ago I got a consultation for my gynecomastia which was said to be pseudogynecomastia after a consultation. I underwent Liposuction of the chest without surgery 2 months ago for my enlarged breasts and asked for riddance off the pointy feeling of raised uncomfortable protuberances when wearing t-shirts. Had this problem since 13. 3 Qs: 1-How satisfied should I be?, 2-What are those new conical lumps around my areolae showing up now? 3-If and when will that breast droop disappear?

Healing & Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Thank you for the question and photos and you probably have residual gland that needs to be resected as it would not have been removed with liposuction alone.  So see some experts in the area and be evaluated. It also could be residual swelling.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Swelling vs gland

Swelling after surgery can last for months.  If by 6 months there are exists some firmness and protrusion behind areal, it may be because there is remaining breast tissue.  Liposuction does not aspirate breast tissue.

Tim Neavin, MD

I think that you have to show photos,. If you recently had it done, you may have swelling. you should give it 4-6 months to settle down. Sometimes patients need direct excision of tissue as well.

Protruberance 8 weeks after gynaecomasta surgery

Dear Malcom,
this residual protuberance look like remaining gland.  we always remove gland surgicaly through key hole infra areolar  incision along with liposuction. You can ask for gland removal to get rid of residual protuberance.
 We do laser and ultrasound assisted liposuction which gives good skin tightening.

Hope this information wil clarify your doubts

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon