Rhinoplasty options: full rhinoplasty, alar base or just tip rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I have a question based on my photos can my rhinoplasty be just one of these things like just Tip or the Alar base all, I need or would I need a full rhinoplasty. I know if I were only to need just an Alar base or tip rhinoplasty it could be done under local because its a 30 minute procedure. If it were a full, It would need to be general or Sedation. Again Based on my photos what would be the best option for me?

Rhinoplasty is about balance. Most patients need complete rhinoplasty or tip plasty

From the photos, it appears that you have thick skin. The tip of your nose would not look narrower from just reducing the ala. A personal exam where your surgeon can actually touch the skin and feel the strength and size of your tip cartilages would be a lot more helpful in determining exactly what is best for you.

Rhinoplasty, Alar Base Reduction, Tip Rhinoplasty

Dear Onetowncara,

Rhinoplasty is a customized surgery, different for everyone.  From your photos, it seems like you would need more than just a tip rhinoplasty.  In order for the tip to be more defined and narrowed, other refinements would likely be necessary to achieve a balanced and natural result.  

I would be happy to examine you and discuss the details further with you, if you like.

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Full rhinoplasty candidate

A full  Rhinoplasty procedure is usually performed to make sure that all the components of the nose are balanced with themselves, and the new nose balances with the patient's facial features. The nose is composed of two nasal bones, two upper lateral cartilages, two lower lateral cartilages, the septum and the overlying skin.  In our practice, we perform rhinoplasty under general anesthesia by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

What type of rhinoplasty do I need?

Frankly, it is very difficult to give you an accurate advise just based on the photos you have sent. It seems that your tip is on a larger size and may benefit from the refinement. I think it would be better if you got an in person consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist of your choice to discuss the options. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty Surgical Goals

Typically, rhinoplasty surgery is performed under general anesthesia.  When performed in an accredited facility with board certified anesthesiologist supervision, it is a very safe method of anesthesia.  Regarding the type of rhinoplasty you desire, tip plasty/full rhinoplasty/alar base reduction, this is a decision which you will have to make with the aid of your surgeon.  I suggest in person cosmetic consultation to thoroughly examine your nose and decide what your cosmetic goals are.  I would not worry so much about the length of the operation, but more about choosing the best surgeon.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  If you want this done the right way, general anesthesia is the right way to go.  This should not be a 30 minute procedure under local anesthesia.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD