Doesn't hair get caught where the incisions need to be made druring rhinoplasty?

Doesnt hair get caught where the incisions need to be made druring rhinoplasty? So its possible when you close up things hair is stuck inside and can lead to infection and so on?

Nasal hair

It is possible that some nasal hair could possibly get caught. Some trim the hairs before making an incision.

Are nose hairs a problem during Rhinoplasty?

Hello and thank you for your question.

Often times nasal hairs are trimmed before the procedure. In addition, when I close the incision inside the nose I am meticulous about not allowing the mucosa (or skin inside the nose) to invert, which can trap hairs in the incision and potentially lead to infection. So to answer your question, they really aren't an issue when treated properly.

Doesn't hair get caught where the incisions need to be made during rhinoplasty

In our practice, this is a non-issue For the last 25 years. The hairs are trimmed prior to the rhinoplasty procedure. Infection is extremely rare after a rhinoplasty procedure.

Hair

This is theoretically an issue -- but in practice it is not. We trim the hairs, also hair is a natural protein -- if it does get caught in an incision, it dissolves and goes away. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Trimming nasal hairs before rhinoplasty

Interesting question. Fortunately, infections with rhinoplasty are exceedingly rare. It's also uncommon for any nasal hairs (vibrissae) to become trapped or ingrown in the incisions we use during rhinoplasty. The main reason we sometimes trim a patient's vibrissae is for convenience (to keep them out of the way), more than as an infection-reducing measure. Remember, too, that not only is the patient's face and nose prepped with antiseptics, most of us also apply antibiotic ointment to the incisions at the end of the case.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair in nose and rhinoplasty

nasal incisions for tip Rhinoplasty are typically made behind the nose hairs. However, it is possible that some hairs may be behind the incision. Nose hair is usually trimmed during surgery at the beginning, prior to incisions. This can represent an infection risk. However, it is not typically a problem, as the nose is washed after hair is trimmed. It is a good idea, however to trim your own nose hair before surgery, to further minimize this risk. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril hair (vibrissae), may be trimmed before commencing rhinoplasty surgery.

Many patients, usually male, have long internal nasal hair that grows in the nasal vestibules near marginal incisions. Trimming these hairs is a routine part of prep before rhinoplasty surgery. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. This is pretty much never a problem.  Nasal hairs are trimmed and infection is exceedingly rare.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nasal hair and nasal surgery

Thanks for your question. This isn't really a problem that we run in to. If the nasal hair is too long, we'll trim it during surgery (but it's always nice if patients take care of that on their own...). Infection from nasal surgery is pretty rare- I see one about every two to three years. We give you antibiotics while you are asleep and then afterwards I have you use antibiotic ointment on all your incisions, including inside the nose. This seems to do a pretty good job at keeping infections at bay, regardless of what nose hair is doing.

Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon