Radiesse under eyes - 2 weeks ago - anything can be done? New York

I had radiesse injected under eyes 2 weeks ago and am experiencing bumps and purplish/greyish discoloration. I am concerned that my body is rejecting radiesse, it was also injected in the cheeks. Anything I can do? Very concerned about formation of granulomas at this stage. Feeling devastated. Would you recommend steroids? Massage? Laser? Anyone is willing to even look at me in NYC?

Under eye Filler

Hello and thank you for your question. 

It is possible that Radiesse is irritating the area and causing swelling. The tissue under the eye is very thin and delicate, therefore the filler that goes in should be thinner. 
Improvement is possible, but you will have to wait for it to naturally dissipate, which can take up to 12 months, even longer. Belotero, a hyaluronic acid product would be a better filler for that area, it is a thinner filler and can be removed. It is important to explore the causes of "under eye bags," and then seek treatment options. 

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

#fillercomplication

Radiesse is not the best filler for lower eyelids. Nonetheless it is preferred by some doctors. I deal with a lot of filler complications. would be happy to see you if you wish to come in for a consult. without a thorough examination of the areas its difficult to say what the best option is for you, but it can be made better. there are videos on my Youtube channel that you can watch

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

What can be done about problems with Radiesse bumps under the eyes.

Radiesse is a good filler for the cheeks, chin and other areas where it could be placed deeper. It is not tolerated in the under eye area. Massage and steroids could be tried, but ultimately it may have to be surgically removed 

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse under eyes post two weeks

Radiesse is not usually placed under the eyes where skin is very thin and multiple veins exist. It is a thick filler used mainly under cheeks, nasolabial folds and marionette lines as well as chin and sometimes nose. 

At this point massage is still important. Eventually the filler will be metabolized. No other treatment should be attempted. Be patient and most of your present appearance will resolve. Seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse Not Recommended For Use Under The Eyes; But Help Possible

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this problem, which no doubt, unfortunately, is putting a big damper on your Thanksgiving. There may be some elements of residual tissue swelling and bruising even at this stage that may yet resolve on their own. Radiesse, which is a bulky product best reserved for lifting and contouring the cheeks, jawline, and chin, is not intended for use directly under the eyes where the skin very thin and delicate. Hyaluronic acid-based injectables, such as Belotero and Teosyal Redensity II, are preferred for the superficial injections required in this very delicate region. The additional problem is that a calcium-based product is not amenable to being dissolved with hyaluronidase, the way hyaluronic acid injectables are. That having been said, I have had success in the past in speeding the breakup and removal of Radiesse using subcision, saline injections, and the injections of certain anti-inflammatory agents. Massage and laser are unlikely to be of much value. Should you wish to pursue this further, my office is located in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, and we will be in the office this Monday morning following the Thanksgiving weekend. In the meantime, try to enjoy the holiday as best you can. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Filler complication

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Without photos it is difficult to assess what is happening and give you advice. Radiesse is not typically injected under the eyes, unless you are referring to the cheek area. I recommend having this evaluated by an expert so you can receive proper treatment. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Bumps After Radiesse

I suggest you see your physician what you are describing is not normal for radiesse.  This would need additional treatment with radiofrequency, saline injections, subcision to help if it truly was the radiesse product itself.  Best, Dr. Emer.