When doing a lip lift, is it best to suture (under your nose) skin on skin or to attach it to the septum?

I spoke with numerous doctors and not one agrees with the other, so decision making is tough. Is it best to attach the sutures under the nose to the skin or to the septem or whatever it is that is inside the nose? Also, some doctors believe in avoiding stitching inside nose, while others belive it is a good way to hind it. The more answers I get will help me in my search. Thank you.

Subnasal Lip Lift

Most lip lift complications occur from trying to secure the orbicularis muscle or the skin to deeper structures. This has a high chance of making your upper lip stiff and causing an abnormal smile. Lip lifts should be a skin excision procedure only. No deep fixation of tissues is advised.

Lip lift incision

A lip lift is performed through an incision placed in the crease between nose and upper lip and extends around the nostrils, hidden in the groove that divides nostril from the cheek. A 4-5 mm of skin strip is removed and skin is sutured to skin of the base of the nose. When carefully executed the incision (scar) is well hidden in the crease described above. No muscle sutures or fixation to the nose septum is needed since lip is not normally attached to the nose.

Select you surgeon carefully. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Subnasal lip lift incision and closure

The closure of the subnasal lift procedure should not be made complex.  The closure does not require fixation of the lip to the nasal septum or other deep structures in order to result in an esthetically pleasing outcome.  Two layers of sutures typically used in skin removal procedures are sufficient to close the skin excised from the procedure.  

Ryan Mitchell, DO, FAOCO
Henderson Facial Plastic Surgeon