Kybella / ATX 101 / deoxycholic acid - Where can one go for treatment of the abdomen / belly fat?

I understand that the procedure is currently only FDA approved for submental fat. I am just interested in learning about potential uses for the abdomen. For argument sake, cost, traveling, and downtime are no object. Safety is a concern. In addition, how does "off-label" work. (Will consider similar alternatives, excluding: liposuction of any kind, surgery that leads to the formation of a scar, or ultrasonic type of laser procedures.) Thanks!

Kybella will work

Kybella will work for tummy fat. The problem iKybella vials are priced for the small amount of chin fat.
Multiple vials and a high cost would be needed for treating a whole abdomen.
Kybella will work nicely for small touch up areas after liiposuction.

Kybella for abdominal fat

Use of Kybella outside the submental area is referred to as off label.  There is nothing dangerous or illegal about a licensed physician using products in off label areas.  That being said, I think Kybella would be quite expensive to use in large areas where more traditional treatments would be equally effective:  liposuction, CoolSculpting and RF devices such as Vanquish or Thermi250.   I would strongly suggest you get some consultation input on what treatment would be best for you.  Try to find an office that offers multiple modalities, as one size does not fit all!~

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella to off label areas

I have used deoxycholic acid for years before Kybella was approved. I have used it in varying parts of the body - stomach, flanks, buttocks, legs, arms, face, neck. I have also used Kybella for just submental fat where it is approved. The treatments are the same and the results are the same. Currently Allergan is studying the use of Kybella on other areas of the body. The problem with Kybella comes down to cost. It would take probably 6 vials of Kybella for an average abdomen. At about $600 per vial, you'd be looking at a cost of $3600 for a single treatment. Multiply that to be the 3-4 treatments that would be required for an average abdomen, and you're in about $15k. Now, deoxycholic acid would cost less than $3600 for all 4 treatments. The issue would be that it isn't FDA approved. Many physicians have used this type of injectable for years with success which is where the idea for Kybella came from. So it will be up to you to decide how you want to proceed.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Kybella & the Abdomen

While Kybella isn't approved for treatment on the abdomen, I am sure that there are surgeons playing around with "off label" use of it in that area (off label is any use that isn't FDA approved). The potential problem would be cost. Kybella is designed to treat a small area of fat so the amount of injections that you'd need for the stomach would be costly. I would think your best best would be liposuction. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and the Abdomen

Currently Kybella is only FDA approved for submental fat.  I would suggest Coolsculpting as a much less expensive and safe alternative to treat your abdominal area.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella for the abdomen? Probably not the best option

Kybella, as you mentioned, has only been FDA approved for use beneath the chin.  There have been no significant studies to investigate the safety and efficacy of using Kybella to decrease fat volume on the abdomen.  Given the cost of Kybella and the amount that would be needed to evenly treat an entire abdomen, it probably won't be a realistic option anytime in the near future. There are more cost effective (and probably more efficacious) procedures available to treat this area, such as CoolSculpting or Liposuction.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

SculpSure

Thank you for your question, tea7890. SculpSure is the most effective FDA-approved treatment because it can eliminate 25% of your unwanted stubborn fat in a 25-minute treatment described by our patients as "feeling like a heating pad." Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Thank you for your question. As you mentioned Kybella is currently FDA approved to treat submental fat. I would not be surprised that in the future we will be using Kybella to treat fat in different areas of the body including the abdomen. Presently I would not use Kybella to remove fat in the abdomen. 

UltraShape is a wonderful non painful no surgical FDA approved treatment to permanently remove tummy fat. 

I hope owe you find this information helpful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Why not to use kybella for large areas

Kybella can be a great solution for small pockets of fat like the submental area.   However, its use for larger areas are a problem for a few reasons.  First, it takes alot of product to reduce a small area, so large areas would take so much product that it would be incredibly expensive.  Second, there would be increased risk for systemic side effects from that much of the drug.  Third, and most important, deoxycholate would be unpredictable in a larger areas leading to irregularities.  Consider the non-invasive alternatives: Coolsculpting or Sculpsure if you want to avoid surgery or ultrasound treatments.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella for belly fat

This has become a common question. As you mentioned, it is currently only approved for treatment of submental fat.  This means that the FDA trials were conducted for this indication and use outside of this body part has not been studied and evaluated by the FDA.  Currently, the price of Kybella would make it impossible to use on larger areas of the body.  It will probably have additional FDA indications as time passes, so be very cautious with doctors who are using the product on other parts the body. 

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician