Is it impractical to have a lollipop breast reduction if you're in need of a significant areola reduction as well? (photo)

22 yrs old having a breast reduction soon.32DDD, 5'7, 180 lbs. I want my breast shape back that I had when I was grade 9 My dr. does a LOT of bilateral incision & I dislike the look, the breasts look connected (uniboob). I refuse to do that.I liked the results on the anchor way but the lollipop looked best & natural and more how my breasts used to look. Any other ideas or method suggestions would be great. (Cup size)? I'm thinking small C. Pls let me know what size you suggest as well. Thx

Breast reduction or lollipop lift

A true reduction involves the vertical T scar which you don't want. Keep in mind that the scar will fade out and most of it is in the crease. A lollipop lift is for a skin lift only and not suitable in your situation.  You will never be 15 again to be candid and it is unrealistic to expect such a result. I would encourage you to return to your plastic surgeon for a lengthy discussion. Good luck!

Large areola and closure

Whether you go with a lollipop or a traditional; "T" closure, your areola may be too large to fit into either pattern. You ultimately may have some pigment along the vertical limb. Often if one waits a year or so, the extra areola can be removed when the tissues soften up.

Breast reduction with lollipop pattern will reduce areola size

Thank you for your question and for providing the photograph.  In my practice I would offer a patient such as yourself a lollipop pattern scar (periareolar and verticle) with a superior pedicle.  I would also explain that you may need a short horizontal scar in the fold but not a full anchor scar.  This type of surgery also narrows the breast and gives a pretty shape.  In my practice I do not perform anchor pattern scar breast reduction is a situation such as yours.  It is possible to reduce the areola size with both anchor and lollipop pattern scars.  Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast reduction

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for back, neck and shoulder pain, for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.
In this regard, for your height and weigh, I recommend getting a C cup, this size would look good on you.
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Lollipop breast lift with large areola

The beauty of a breast lift is that you can choose the size of your areola. The extra skin can be removed with the vertical component (stick)  of the lollipop.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Breast red

There are pros and cons of the various techniques and you could have a breast reduction by just a periareola scar / vertical scar or anchor. Each have pros and cons and you need to run through these with an experienced plastic surgeon. You need to consider whether now is the right time for surgery and you may need to consult with more than one PS to find the right surgeon for you. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

There are several approaches to this, and every surgeons has his or her own criteria.  Some prefer a T-type incision, while others are able to achieve the look you wish with a "lollipop" type of lift.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Type of breast reduction

Hello and thank you for the question and the photo. A "lollipop" breast lift is not the same as a reduction. Typically, it is done only to help remove a MILD degree of loose skin. 

Your photo show more significant loose skin and very large areola. You should consider a full breast reduction using the common anchor type scar. The areola will be reduced in diameter as well during this type of procedure. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction Which type of incision ?

When in doubt look at the work of a few plastic surgeons in your area. There are different scar patterns for breast reduction. In general the anchor pattern remove the most skin.  You have a good deal of laxity, lollipop may not get you what you want.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast and areolar reduction

Thank you for your question and posting appropriate pix. You seem to be a good candidate for a vertical lollipop breast reduction procedure.  Your areola size will be reduced as part of this procedure.   You would likely end up with a full C cup. You would need a consultation for precise recommendations of course. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS