I have breast implants for 5 years, is it safe to pierce my nipples? Are there any side effects to doing this?

Pierce Nipples Post Breast Implants

Thanks for your questions.  5 years is an adequate time to allow for safe nipple piercing.  The thing to keep in mind is risk in general that are associated with piercing.  Things like infection, irritation of the tissue, affecting the tissue of the nipple, and so forth.  You just have to be aware of these and make sure if something happens, you follow up properly to get the issue resolved. 

Do not pierce your nipples after breast augmentation.

I have seen one  very serious complication after breast augmentation in 35 years of practice. A patient who had breast implants done in another town came in to the ER with Toxic Shock Syndrome 6 days after having her nipples pierced. She nearly died but fortunately recovered once her implants were removed and she was placed on antibiotics. Her implant cavities were full of pus. There was a visible track of pus extending down form the nipples and exuding from her piercing holes.

It may be a one in a million case but please dont take the risk!

Check with your surgeon

You should check with your surgeon to make sure you can get nipple piercings as only your surgeon knows your specific medical history and would be able to give you the best advice!

Clear this with your surgeon for his recommendation.  In general, you should be fine for a nipple piercing.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD