Should I go to hospital, or go to a for-profits laser practice SPA for a facial minor scar reduction?

I have two tiny spots of scar on my face, the problem concerning me going to a laser practice SPA is that people at that place don't care much about the aftermath, and always approach the patients with an salesmen's attitude. People are just not as caring as doctors at a hospital usually would be on giving out advice. However, going to a hospital for scar reduction, from my opinion, is not something covered by insurance and I don't know if they even offer that service for scar.

Doctor Answers 5

Private Cosmetic Dermatologist Office

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced cosmetic dermatologist who does laser scar revisions for a consultation for recommendations and treatment options. I think this would be best.

Calgary Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Scars Are Best Treated By A Board Certified Aesthetic Physician With Scar Treatment Experience & Expertise

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As a rule, it is best to seek consultation and treatment for any cosmetic procedures by a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise. 

In the absence of a photo, I can only question why you have focused on lasers as your treatment of choice. If you only have two tiny scars on your face, depending upon their nature, they be amenable to less expensive modalities, such as subcision with or without fillers, or medical microneedling.

I would suggest caution when it comes to lasers, particularly fraxels, which tend to be more expensive treatment approaches, and which, in my opinion, have shown themselves to be supported far more by device manufacturer backed marketing hype and high-pitched salesmanship than hard science. 

For more information on scar treatments, I suggest checking out the archives of

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Facial Scar Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Facial scars are best treated by a dermatologist in a private office who has the latest lasers and special training in scar treatments.  I would not recommend you going to a spa. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic lasers and scar treatments for the best results.

You might also like...

Scar reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would recommend seeing a dermatologist with expertise in laser procedures to discuss scar reduction options. You will likely not see a physician that has expertise in scars in a medical spa setting. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Scar revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I agree with your comments about spas, but your scar revision may be covered by insurance if you are treated Bryan appropriate MD. Hard to say what you need without photo or physical exam, but surgical scar revision is probably an option. See me or another board certified plastic surgeon in our area for a consult. Also check out the link below to an article I wrote about scarring, as it be of some help.Good Luck"

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.