Graft pain, can feel it moving and colliding with other cartilage when I push on my nose tip. Is this normal?

I had a columella strut trimmed because it was too long and was clicking. I am 3 months post op and when I push on my tip not too hard or put my face into a pillow I can feel the piece move down and collide and touch other cartlidge or skin or whatever the medical term is. Before my rhinoplasty I could push my tip with no problem. My surgeon does not know the answer and I would like other opinions

Columella strut

It is likely the strut.  The strut is a firm piece of cartilage that is often used to add support to the tip. Unfortunately, when pushed on, it will click in many cases.

Pain is not normal but may improve with time. Manipulation of grafts can cause clicking and colliding. Even noses that have been not operated on can have clicking, movement of the septum if manipulated. The most important issues are breathing and aesthetic. I would do your best to not try to manipulate it. Lastly, it is unlikely that the cartilage movement means anything is wrong. Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon