Can getting cheek fillers (likely Juvederm) in your early 20s pose any problems down the line?

I am 24 and considering getting fillers in my cheeks to add some definition and fullness at the cheekbone area. I am wondering if it is bad for the skin or could make it looks bad once I am older if I start this and carry on for many years? I use juvederm in my lips already, but I am just concerned about the cheek area. Are there any negative effects when having filler in the cheeks for many years? Thank you so much!!

Will injection of the cheeks with Juvederm create long term problems if started at an early age?

Thank you for sharing your question. There should be no negative long term problems using Juvederm at a young age. Just make sure to go to an experienced, conservative doctor to achieve the best results. 
Good luck,

Fillers

As far as I know there are no long term problems with using filler sin the face. I have been using them for the past 20 years with great success.

There’s no evidence that regular injectable filler use poses a risk.

There’s currently no evidence that suggests any negative long-term side effects of injectable fillers to plump facial volume. Injectable fillers, also known as dermal fillers, contain hyaluronic acid, which is already naturally occurring in your body and will eventually be absorbed and flushed out. This is why injectables offer temporary results, and why it’s necessary to continue getting injections in order to maintain the same fullness. The best thing you can do is to work with an experienced cosmetic surgeon who’s skilled in the art of dermal injection.

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

Juvederm in the cheeks

As far as I know, there are no long term negative effects of receiving filler injections in the cheeks.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek fillers

There should be no risk or long term negative effects in having injections performed at your age. HA is a product naturally found in your body anyway and so should not have any long term effects on your skin if reasonable amounts are injected each time. I recommend consulting an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for this. Your physician will be able assess how much filler you require and can plan for a more conservative approach. Hope this helps and good luck. James Lee

No, getting cheek fillers is not known to cause any problems down the line. Typically, when one injects Juvederm it is actually known for slowing down the aging process. This is an excellent thing that people are very happy with. In very rare instances, one can have an allergy to Juvederm. This is the only way that you would have a "problem". Good Luck, Dr. Downie.

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

No.... fillers if placed properly will help give antiaging and collagen production long term so that you look better at a younger age.  It is preventative when done well.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Long term effects fillers in cheeks

Great question. Unfortunately I am not aware that there are any long term safety studies(20 year follow up)on fillers.  I don't foresee an issue with the overlying skin.  I am curious to see what long term fillers might have on deeper soft tissues.  Not overdoing it would be wise.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  Long term fillers will not have any negative consequences on your facial appearance and may actually provide benefits.  From lending support to your natural skin and tissues to helping resist compression, consistent use may help prevent age-related changes.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation, they can offer you the best dermal filler recommendation to help you attain the goals you are after.  Hope this helps.

Juvederm at a young age

There is no evidence that getting filler injections done at a young age will create any problems later in life.  Filler injections including Juvederm actually stimulate production of a patient's own collagen so there may be a cosmetic benefit even after the filler has gone away.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon