Can I, black woman, change my nose it could look like this? (photos)

I would like to have a higher nose bridge and more of a nose like the woman in the photo. Which basically means higher nose bridge, smaller nose in general and more defined nose tip.. Would I be able to have the exact or at least a very similar nose to her?

Change my nose

You can certainly have bridge augmentation and some tip refinement. It would be a mistake in my opinion to try and change your nose so much that it no longer harmonizes with the rest of your unique African American features and ethnicity.Incidentally while everyone should get the nose they want, the model picture you are showing has asymmetric nostrils that are rotated to the extreme that you are literally staring straight into them. It may work for her but I would not like to have that result on any of my patients.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

African american rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Yes, you can change the appearance of your nose and have a higher bridge. However, the features of an african american nose are quite different as compared to a caucasian nose or other ethnicities for that matter. The skin texture is different, the bone length and structure is different and the cartilage support of the tip is different. You should definitely schedule an in person consultation to discuss this in detail. There are many anatomical differences between the nose you posted as your goal and your own, and they need to be discussed in detail so you understand clearly as to what is involved. Good luck!

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Thank you for your pictures and your question.  The most important part of achieving good results in rhinoplasty is ensuring facial harmony.  When we look at a person's face, the first thing we look at are the eyes, then the mouth, followed by the ears, hair position, and finally the nose.  When there is disruption in the esthetic harmony of the face, the nose jumps out.  Importantly, there should be facial harmony that is ethnically appropriate for this very reason.  
You are correct in your assessment of increasing dorsal height, narrowing the alar bases and improving nasal tip.  During physical exam your physician would be able to tell you what is possible and what is not as african american nasal skin is often thicker with thinner cartilages - therefore there is a lot more work that needs to be done in order to achieve higher degrees of definition and projection.  This can make the surgery more involved than expected for someone who is not experienced with ethnic noses. I would urge you to seek out someone who has extensive experience with ethnic rhinoplasty during your consultation process as they can further elaborate in person after doing a physical exam.  Best of luck on your consultations.  I like that you know what you want and want to evaluate the expectations prior to diving in.  I hope some of this helps. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Black Rhinoplasty Results

Dear Ivynosa,It is definitely possible to augment the bridge of the nose and narrow the nostrils.  Only after your examination and consultation, can your surgeon determine what extent of aesthetic changes can be made without compromising your breathing. I would be happy to discuss this with you further.All the best,Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Rhinoplasty

No, You can not get it that slim.  But, you can certainly soften the look that you have by augmenting the dorsum and narrowing and refining the tip.

The nasal bridge can be raised and the nose narrowed in African American Rhinoplasty

These are two of the most common issue we address in African American rhinoplasty. However, we cannot make your nose look like someone else's. There is a lot of difference in the skin thickness between your nose and the model you chose as well as facial skeletal differences. I suggest a consultation with an expert in ethnic rhinoplasty to discuss what can and cannot be accomplished.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Black Noses

Michael Jackson changed his nose in many operations to go from a Black Nose to a sculpted white one. I personally think he made a huge mistake and ended up looking terrible. You can have things done to improve your nose, but if you want it to look like the picture you submitted you will never be happy. One often has to accept their ethnicity.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Open rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.
The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

While a rhinoplasty that includes bridge augmentation, increasing tip projection and nostril narrowing will make your nose appear more narrow, you can not end up with a nose that is as slim as your ideal nose shape goals.

African American Rhinoplasty

Hi,You can get pretty close to that result if you choose the right surgeon. Ethnic and African American rhinoplasty is a much more challenging than standard caucasion rhinoplasty. The best way to choose a surgeon is have computer imaging and interview several surgeons based on their before and after photos which should be posted on their websites.Best,Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS