Follow-up Question - A Lollipop and Small implant vs Donut lift with about 200cc, advice? (photos)

I want a modest increase for upper fullness I am more interested in having an optimal breast shape and nipple possition. I think the donut lift will give me wide breast since that is my natural shape and only correct the nipple possibly in a small degree and flatter as I've seen/read.....Should I just go with the Lollipop since I'm spending so much money for this? Abd get it right the first time? I feel I have too short of a distance from the bott of my nipple to infram fold. Thank you All!!

Augmentation mastopexy

Ivida,

Thanks for the question and the photos.  Based solely on your photos, I feel you would be best with a small implant along with a periareolar (donut) lift.  This should give you a better shape and nipple areolar location.  Good luck with your decision.

Dr. T

Lift and implants

You are probably best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated. If solely based upon the photos, it looks like a donut lift and implant may be enough.

Donut versus vertical incision for augmentation-mastopexy

Hi Ivida, it's difficult to give a definite response without the benefit of a physical examination, which is probably why you're seeing different opinions from the responding surgeons.  I generally prefer to do a vertical incision, as I find that the donut lift does flatten the breast and tends to scar poorly.  Your concerns are good ones, and I suggest just asking your surgeon since he or she has had the benefit of examining you.  Good luck.

My Usual Choice of Lift Procedure

The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under intravenous sedation and local or general anesthesia. As mentioned above there are a variety of techniques for these operations.  Lollipop lift (vertical lift), donut (periareola) lift, Benelli lift, crescent lift, anchor lift  (inverted T ). Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. These newer techniques are utilized in the vast majority of cases, the rare exception being extremely large breasts. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

Lift/augment

I would be concerned about the donut lift as the scarring can be problematic and I am not sure it would achieve the appropriate contour. In breast surgery, photos are not the equivalent of an in person consultation.  There may be alternatives available to you.

Follow-up Question - A Lollipop and Small implant vs Donut lift with about 200cc, advice

You will get a more natural look with the lollipop incision versus the incision only around your areola. The areola incision alone can sometimes flatten the projection of the breast mound.

Julio Garcia, MD

Your breasts

Advice over the internet without seeing you and measuring your breasts is not totally accurate. That said, it looks as if your nipple is above the IM line -- thus a lift would not be needed and implants alone should be able to give you what you want. A circumaeolar lift would not be good for you. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast lift with implants

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, the best shape and contour could be achieved with an implant and a wise pattern breast lift.  I do not ever recommend a Bennelli lift.  Over time, the areola tends to enlarge with a thickened scar.  The other even worse problem is that it flattens out the shape of the anterior breast over time.  A wise pattern lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.    The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lollipop lift with small implant?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift with implants.

• I agree with your assessment.
  • The donut lift is likely to flatten your breast.
  • A vertical (lollipop) lift seems perfect along with a small implant.
  • You should have a very pretty result.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS