Why do I still have an outie after umbilical hernia surgery?

i've got an umbilical surgery on July 27, 2016 and 11 days later i'll still have an outie. Is it too early to see the results? when would be the best time to go for a revision? thanks.

Healing After TT and Umbilical Repair

Abdominoplasty will address loose skin, excess fat and muscle weakness “diastasis recti”. This weakness tends to enlarge the waist in many women. After pregnancy if your belly button has a bulge or sticks out, it may be due to an umbilical hernia. Both of these conditions are corrected during a Tummy Tuck, which will bring in your waist line. On the other hand if only a small amount of skin is redundant in the lower tummy you may only need a fairly simple “mini-tuck” rather than the more extensive standard Abdominoplasty – which corrects all the conditions noted above.  Healing after the  #tummytuck will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

Umbilical hernia repair is not the same as a tummy tuckPatients with questions an concerns about their umbilical hernia repair should address those concerns with the surgeon/general surgeon that performed the operation.

John Mesa, MD