How much Juvederm for upper lip and smile lines?

I plan on getting my lips and smile lines done. I only want my top lip done so is one syringe enough or do I need two?

Lip Contour / Smile Lines: How Much Juvederm?

It would take an in-person physician evaluation to give you an accurate answer, but I can offer some information based on prior patient experience.  There are several options for you.

One of the benefits of HA fillers like Juvederm is that you get to see how much benefit you get from one syringe, before deciding on a second syringe.  You can decide on the day of initial treatment or you can have one and return in several weeks, re-evaluate, and add additional filler. 

Discuss the elements of beautiful lips with your injector (hopefully a board certified surgeon or dermatologist, or their well supervised nurse) before only enhancing the upper lip.  It is often desirable to treat both carefully to maintain beautiful balance. 

Finally, Juvederm may be ideal for lip enhancement, but depending on the smile line characteristics, there may be other filler products that work well too.  Discuss that with your physician.  Enjoy the experience and may you have a valuable on-going relationship with your doctor. 

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

How much lip filler

Hard to give you an amount without seeing photos or evaluating you in person. I usually average 1 mL of Juvederm Ultra for a new lip augmentation patient but the total amount is determined at time of in person evaluation after both a physician examination and discussion with the patient about the results he/she is expecting. 

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately without a series of photographs demonstrating your current appearance, and desired amount of correction, it is difficult to make a definite recommendation.  For both smile lines and your upper lip you will probably need more than one syringe but see a board certified plastic surgeon for the best advice.  

Amount of Juvederm Required for Desired Degree of Correction

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to comment without seeing a photograph.  The amount of Juvedem required for the desired degree of correction is determined on an individual basis and depends on the degree of age-related volume loss present.  If more volume loss is present, then more Juvederm will be required for optimal results.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person consultation to discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine be best treatment plan.  Best wishes! 

Juvederm for lips and smile lines

How much depends on the desired effect and what one can afford. Less may be better, and certainly one syringe will make a visible difference in the lip area. You may decide go back for more volume after letting the first injection settle and adjusting to your new lip appearance. Scheduling a follow-up appointment with your doctor is very helpful to be sure that you have reached your goal.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Much Filler For Upper Lip

Depends on how much of a change you want. Usually better to start off conservatively. You can always add on. It is much more difficult to take it away. Without a photo of your lips, a personalized answer is not possible. But in general, 1 syringe should be plenty for both the upper and lower lip. If you stick to only doing the upper lip, you may not end up using the entire 1 mL syringe. But you may find that once you do the upper, you may want to do the lower to balance it out. As for the smile lines or nasolabial folds, it will depend on how deep they are. 1mL syringe can be shared between both sides or 1mL syringe (or more) may be injected into EACH side. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Juvederm for Lips & Smile Lines

Thank you for sharing your case.  Without a photo and consultation to discuss your goals, it can be tough to give you an exact amount.  In general, I like to use Juvederm for the lips and a longer lasting filler like Radiesse or Voluma for the nasolabial folds.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified injector to begin the process together.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip filler

Lip augmentation with filler may require one or more syringes. Everyone is different  so it is hard to say what would be appropriate for you.

Hello Hello1111116,

When it comes to fillers and "how much is needed" it is important to remember you can always add more.  I recommended to start conservatively.  Based on what you are describing I think one syringe would be plenty to start with.  If after two weeks pass you feel you need more, you can get a touch up.  If you add too much with to start, you can have it dissolved but then you are getting rid of your original investment.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers

Thank you for your question. I typically recommend for my patients to start conservatively with one syringe but without photographs I am unable to give you a recommendation. I would recommend an in person exam to determine your candidacy.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon