Can I get juvederm filler and acne laser scar removal at same time?

So I plan on getting acne laser scar removal and juvederm filler in my smile lines and lips but not sure if you can do these things in the same day? Should I do one at a time? If I can do these procedures in the same day does it matter which one I do first? Thanks

Laser and filler treatments done at the same time depends on areas being treated, and extent/recovery time of laser treatment

Thank you for your question. I understand you’d like to know if you can get Juvederm filler and acne scar laser treatment done in the same session.
I can certainly give you some guidance on this. To give you a little information about myself — I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I have been performing laser treatments since the mid-90s when the original CO2 lasers were first introduced. Currently, in my practice, we use multiple lasers for the treatment of acne, including CO2 laser, Erbium laser, and the Nd:YAG laser, so we certainly have a lot of experience with the treatment of acne scars. I have also been using fillers since the introduction of the original collagen fillers Zyderm and Zyplast.
The answer to your question is really based on the degree of your acne scars and the level of laser treatment you are going to undergo. Injecting filler in areas you will not be treating with the laser is fine. When I perform facelifts or eyelid surgery, it is not unusual to have filler treatment done at the same time; it is just really a matter of planning things out properly. However, if you plan on getting a very intensive and extensive laser procedure, you may not enjoy the benefits of filler treatment for a certain amount of time because you will be resurfacing a large area of skin and you need to allot enough time for healing.
If the acne laser treatment is going to be done with a fractional laser, you can expect episodic treatment separated by several weeks to allow for healing. Since the laser is fractionated, it means there is less downtime and we are able to allow the healing process occur a bit faster, which is less disruptive to one’s personal life and schedule.
When we treat acne, particularly rolling acne scars, we use platelet-rich plasma and fillers. We can also do microneedling. Basically, there really is no right or wrong answer based on your question alone; and there are truly a lot of ways to help people with acne. I think it is important to first determine if there is going to be significant downtime with the laser treatment you plan to do, and if there isn’t, then it is fine to do the injectables at the same time and then just come back for further treatments as needed.
I suggest you speak with your doctor about the type of acne laser treatment you want to have, and if you haven’t yet, take this opportunity to get more opinions on treating acne scars. You will probably get a lot of different opinions because there are so many ways to go about treating acne scars. Many of these options will include subcision, microneedling, platelet-rich plasma injections, different kinds of lasers, and even acne surgery.
I suggest you also look into ways you can maximize the blending of scars and overall  improvement of the quality of skin, particularly in areas where there is more shadowing from the acne pit scars. In terms of the smile lines, these are mostly just normal skin changes that are not usually involved, unless the acne scars in the cheek area overlap with the smile lines.
It is important that you meet with qualified and experienced specialists so you can discuss this issue further, and get a realistic understanding of the downtime of laser acne scar treatment. I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Filler and laser scar treatment.

If you're talking about separate areas of the face then of course you can have both.  I personally would first inject the fillers so that my judgment isn't altered by the swelling from the numbing medicine injection or any swelling from the laser treatment itself.  Again, if the treatments are to two separate areas then either order is fine.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Juvederm and Laser At the Same Time?

It is possible. Although you may want to have the laser done first so it doesn't affect the properties of the Juvederm. Having said that, if the treatments are in two different areas of the face, that concern may not be applicable.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Juvederm and laser at same time

It is perfectly safe to do both treatments on the same day. The filler is usually placed much deeper then the laser treats. I usually do laser before filler when treating on the same day. That way, no chance that the laser interferes with the filler. 

Juvederm and Laser at the same time

Good news, it is perfectly safe to do Juvederm at the same time as a laser treatment. We often combine treatments such as these in one visit so it is convenient for our patients. 

I prefer to do the Juverderm after laser, so that any chance of disturbing or altering the filler is zero. 

Hope you enjoy your results!

Dr S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm filler and laser for acne scars at the same time

If the filler is injected superficially and laser treatment is delivered in that same location, there might be some concern about inflammation in or around filler. From the description of your treatment plan, however, the Juvederm is not being placed at the same site as the laser treatment. Therefore, it should be fine to have both treatments on the same day and it should not matter which one is performed first.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Laser

Great question.  Yes, it is perfectly okay to have Juvederm and Laser on the same day.  Patients often do multiple treatments at the same time such as Juvederm, Botox and Laser or they spread them out.  I would suggest having a consult to review your options.  

David Shafer, MD

Laser and filler

Sure, you may have fillers and laser treatment on the same day. The fillers are injected below the level the laser targets and should not be affected. 

Fillers and lasers

It should not be a problem to get fillers and lasers at the same time.   Best to discuss with your doctor.

Juvederm and laser at same time...

Thank you for your question.  Yes you can have filler and laser done at the same time.  The order does not matter, and it is the preference of the treating physician.  Personally, I prefer filler then laser.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon