Can Botox spread?

So I really want to get jaw Botox to shrink and reshape my jaw I have seen great results. However I'm scared Botox can spread is that possible? What if it migrates to different part of my face ? Can Botox spread to the body or bloodstream if it's in the face I just want to feel comfortable before I do it but not sure if there are any risks ? Thank you

Botox is safe to use

Using Botox in the masseter can be an excellent way of slimming the face. It also can help with jaw clenching.  It needs to be performed by a specialist who is comfortable with experience in treating this area.  The spread of Botox depends on how concentrated the solution is that is injected.  If it is a heavily concentrated solution of Botox, it doesn’t move at all.  Botox has many uses and over the years has proven to be very safe.  Most common side effects of Botox include headaches, bruising and pain at the site of injection.   Always go to an experiences injector and discuss your preexisting conditions with your doctor.  Hope it's helpful.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Botox spread?

Botox can spread from its injection point, but only minimally. It does not spread throughout the body. The effects of the spread may cause unwanted muscle weakness near the site and, in this area, that would affect your smile. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Can Botox spread?

Thank you for your question.  In short, no, Botox does not "spread".  If injected in the face, it will not spread to any other part of the body.  I would caution you on use of Botox in the lower face, especially around the mouth.  It can be challenging to make both sides equal or symmetric.  You may need a touch up or two to get a perfect result.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Botox spreading

Thank you for your question hello. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to slim the face. Migration of Botox is possible, but usually minimal if placed correctly. In this area spread of Botox can affect muscles that move the mouth when one smiles and lead to an asymmetric smile; this is very rare. The amount of Botox absorbed in the blood is negligible to cause systemic symptoms. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox migration

Hello and thank your for your question. Yes, botox can spread, or "migrate". However, migration is typically only a centimeter in circumference. Placement is also dependent on the injector's experience and knowledge of the anatomy.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Jaw reshaping

I assume that you are referring to a dermal filler for reshaping your jaw.  BOTOX cosmetic is a neuromuscular blocking agent generally indicated for temporary improvement in the appearance of glabellar lines (forehead wrinkles) and the lateral canthal lines (crow's feet).  Dermal fillers, such as Restylane and Juvaderm, may be injected in the jaw for the purpose of contouring and reshaping the area. Dermal fillers generally should not move, and may yield excellent results in the hands of an experienced physician.  In the unlikely event of movement that is determined to be unacceptable, the filler may be safely dissolved by your doctor using hyaluronidase injection.

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can botox spread

Botox is very safe and the amount used cosmetically is very small.  The botox can migrate about a centimeter from the injection site but will not go into the blood stream or spread to other parts of your face. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Spread of Botox

Botox does spread but only a very small amount from the area of injection and will not get in the blood stream or go to distant areas of the face or the body

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox

Botox is safe in experienced hands. It will not spread to bloodstream, but every type in the market has a local spread radial zone, Dysport spreads more than Botox, and there are sufficient studies that published about local spreading, and by this every substance gets its effect. Dr. Nabil Fakih

Nabil Fakih, MD
Lebanon Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Jaw

Hi there, this is a great question as I am sure you are not the only one who has questions about the safety of Botox. Botox is actually very safe, and does not migrate to other parts of your face nor will it go into the bloodstream. For the use of Botox in cosmetic dermatology and plastic surgery, we are using such small amounts in a controlled manner so that when it is injected by a qualified injector Botox is very safe. Hope this helps, and you give it a try, Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon