Asymmetrical eyes; is there any way of changing this? (Photo)

I hate it, I have to avoid photos and all now because of this. Is there any way of changing this as I'm not confident with one eye beinflg lower than the other, I just want normal eyes :/

Doctor Answers 5

Asymmetry of the eyelids, ptosis

Your photo shows relative ptosis of the left upper lid. I believe correction of the ptosis and revision of the lid fold will provide better symmetry for you. An Oculoplastic surgeon would have the best knowledge of the anatomy (there is no cartilage in the eyelid, the lid crease is formed by slips of collagen from the levator aponeurosis attaching to the skin) to provide the best surgical result. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Asymmetrical eyes

It appears from your photos that you have some facial skeletal asymmetry, that causes your left eye to sit lower. You also might have a slight droop of the left upper eyelids. If you had some prior facial injury with unrecognized "blow out" fracture, then you might benefit from some corrective surgery.  Seek out an experienced ocouloplastic surgeon for an in person evaluation. 

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

The left eye does sit lower in the face than the right eye.

Moving the left orbit higher in the face requires craniofacial surgery that will create its own issues and has the potential to damage the vision permanently.  A much safer approach is correcting the upper eyelid ptosis.  You may still have psychological issues and these are best addressed with psychological counseling.  

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Asymmetrical eyelids

Thank you for sharing your question and posting your photo. You have slight ptosis of both eyelids, especially the lateral portion of the lids. This can be corrected with one of a few techniques. In addition, there is a bit of extra skin on the upper eyelids. This should be evaluated after the ptosis is corrected. See an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and appropriate guidance. Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 144 reviews


Thank you for your question. A Blepharoplasty (or eyelid surgery) procedure can address some of the unevenness in your eyes, however, there are oftentimes structural causes to the eyes and eyelids that limit the effectiveness of facial plastic surgery. For example, the depth of our eyelid crease is determined by the amount of cartilage in the eyelid area and is an inherited characteristic that is not easily modified. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person examination that will help you modify your eyes. 
Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 120 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.