I want breast augmentation & am currently a deflated B cup; want to go to a natural C cup. I am 49; am I candidate? (Photo)

Am I suitable candidate for BA? Do I need a breast lift? What type of implants do you use and why?

Find the right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast augmentation with ? lift

you can go with breast implant surgery to increase cup size from B to  C .   In person examination is more correct than just one view of breast photograph,  it seems , with  dual plane placement of inplant , you may not require lift surgery..  anatomical implants are better than round to give breast  lift

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift or augmentation

Hi there and thanks for your question.  It is difficult to give you an accurate answer based on 1 view so an oblique and lateral photograph would help.  You certainly appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation, however you appear to be seeking a very conservative breast enlargement (1 cup size) which may not be enough to fill the loose skin completely. Your photo shows you slightly tilted which gives the appearance of asymmetry with one nipple (the side with the forearm tattoo) sitting lower than the other.  If there is asymmetry then Medicare and private insurance rebates may apply (See web reference).  If you have a child between 1 and 7 and your nipple is below the inframammary fold, the same holds true.The choice of implant depends on what you are aiming for.  If you don't need a lift, you van create the appearance of a slight lift by using a teardrop implant and the "dual plane" approach or in some cases a sub glandular (in front of the muscle) position.  Alternatively, a skin tightening procedure such as a "donut" or "lollipop" lift, combined with a small breast augmentation can produce very nice and very natural results with minimal scarring.

Good luck.  I hope that helps.

Kind regards 

Dr Mark Hanikeri MBBS, FRACS 

Perth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Candidate?

Thank you for your question. It appears you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation surgery. Please have an in-person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast procedures. Ask to see a lot of before and after photos of what can be achieved with implants. Hope this helps and good luck.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. From your photo, you appear to be a good candidate for Breast Augmentation. The size of implant is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Candidate for breast surgery?

It is difficult to advise you based on the single photograph; you may wish to post additional photographs (frontal and side views taken by a second party) for more precise advice.  Ultimately, you will do best seeking consultation with a few well experienced board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals and options.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,  I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question and the photo.  You would need a physical history and exam, along with a discussion about your own expectations for surgery to determine if you are good candidate for a breast augmentation and lift. Judging from your photo alone, it looks like you might benefit from both procedures.  Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in breast augmentation and one who offers several options for best results.  Some the options include; silicone gel implants, saline implants, and structured implants (IDEAL). There can also be differences in the incision cite; for most of my patients I use a transaxillary approach which leaves a very small incision under the armpit and no scar on the breast itself. Implants also come in different profiles and can be placed above or below the muscle. Most plastic surgeons chose to put the implant below the muscle for a more natural result, if that is your goal. Many plastic surgeons also offer 3D imaging and sizers which can help you determine which shape and size breast implant might be best for you.  I hope this helps. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It appears you are a candidate for breast augmentation.  There are many different styles of implants to choose from based the type of look that you desire.  A good place to start is by looking for board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  Many will have before and after photos on their websites where you can begin to get a feel of the size and shape that you like.  When you are ready, schedule a consultation where you can anticipate learning more about the procedure and looking at sample implants.

Camille Cash, MD