Could this be swollen, capsular contracture, or both?

I am exactly 4 weeks post op with textured silicone implants placed above the muscle. I got identical size implants. My right breast that was smaller pre surgery is now larger. Not significantly enough that I am concerned about infection. I have no symptoms of infection. My implant on the right side also feels much harder already. And again the breast is slightly larger. Could I still be swollen on one side, so much that could actually make it feel as if it's harder?

Post Op Swelling

As others have said, capsular contracture at this point in recovery is unlikely however it is not uncommon for the breasts to swell and heal a bit differently due to minor asymmetries. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have ongoing concerns so that they can examine you in person, otherwise allow a few more months for things to even out.

All the best

Capsular contracture is not a possibility for weeks after breast augmentation.

You do not have a capsular contracture. Modest asymmetry of swelling after breast augmentation is fairly common. Any significant asymmetry should be reported to your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your breast augmentation!  At four weeks your symptoms are most consistent with soft tissue swelling rather than capsular contracture, which could not have developed this quickly.  It is very common that despite using the same size implants that there is some asymmetry in the body's response to healing.  Hang in there and allow your results more time to heal, then assess for any residual asymmetries.  The only difference in breast size should be that which you started with.  Hope this helps.  

Capsular Contracture

Capsular Contracture is a condition in which the capsule surrounding the implant thickens and contracts, squeezing the implant making it overly firm or hard and often changing the shape and position of the implant. As the capsule contracts it moves the implant further up your chest wall making upper portion of your breast too large and unshapely. It is more far more common in nicotine users (e.g. smoking, vaping or nicotine gum or patches).

Too early to judge

We all want instant results but with all surgery, patience is required.  It takes at least 3 months to see final results and often longer with breast implants.  As with all surgery, your surgeon should be your most important advocate.  Whenever you have concerns, speak with your surgeon's office.  They know what you had done and can guide you to understand your progress.

Good luck.  I hope you have the results you seek after the healing phase.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Please send pictures

There are swelling after surgery and would take three months to see the final results, but without pictures it is impossible to be sure. Please see your surgeon. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast swelling

Dear Magnolia_Mama:

Thank you for your question. With out a physical examination it is impossible to give a precise answer. It is impossible to diagnose a capsular contracture; or anything for that matter, without an in person history & physical examination.  Although 4 weeks post-op is a bit early for a capsular contracture. You should  make a follow up appointment with your surgeon. You could have fluid or bleeding around the implant that is causing it to swell. Blood in the pocket will turn into capsule. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Thank you for your question. Without seeing pictures hard to comment. Based on the description, you may have seroma or hematoma . Capsular contracture at 1 month is rare. Please gland see your PS for evaluation.

It is impossible to diagnose a capsular contracture or anything for that matter without an in person examination. You need to make a follow up appointment with your surgeon. You could have fluid or bleeding around the implant that is causing it to swell. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

You should have your surgeon evaluate you.  You may have had some self limited bleeding in that larger R side that may explain the difference.  Bleeding around the implant may cause capsular contracture.  Best wishes, Dr. T.