What percentage of women have large labia? Any sort of visible labia beyond majora.

I feel like everyone I read a about feels alone, and as if they were the only one with the issue, and I am just wondering how common it is.

Labia change as you age

and most people have excesses and redundancies and this is completely normal.  But if you desire to have a more trimmed look, labiaplasty will do that for you.  But its a procedure designed to remove excess tissue and nothing more.  It will not change your sexuality (unless you got a horrible result) or partners perceptions of you.  So you should do this for yourself.  People don't talk about this topic much but its a common procedure.  So seek out a local plastic surgeon, and avoid the trim technique unless you are accepting of 'that' result.

I see at least 2 or 3 patients a week with these concerns.

Los Angeles, CA.........

The answer to your question is not known.

What is considered "normal"  is the labia minora being at the same level as the labia majora or just slightly longer.  You should really be thinking about how much you are bothered and irritated in tight clothing, exercise and then finally the aesthetic appearance.  You are definitely not alone.  A very large part of my practice is dedicated to women with your concern.

Large labias

Everyone has a different anatomy . There are many women that I see everyday in my office who have large labias but are not concerned about the way they look , or are functionally bothered by it. To answer your question, no one is symmetrical and many women have some labia minora past the majora.  If it doesn't bother you functionally or aesthetically you do not need to worry about getting something done. But if you are, a labiaplasty is a consideration. 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS

It's pretty common to have protruding labia minora

I've never run numbers, but it's a common daily presentation in my gyn practice. Obviously, women who seek labiaplasty and talk about labiaplasty are exclusively those with long labia. You are not alone by a long shot.

Large labia minora percentage?

The percentage has not been scientifically researched but my guesstimate is way over 50%. Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy). These procedures turn out to be a huge (sexual) self-confidence booster, more than just about any other cosmetic surgery i perform from head to toe. 
Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years. Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry". Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result. Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible. Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically 7-8 mm actually. To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best. It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week). It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible. Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome. Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly. Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there. Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation. No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks. My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Percentage of women with large labia

No one knows the percentage of women with large labia minora.  However, it is relatively common, so do not feel alone.  If you wish them reduced, then  a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Enlarge labia

There is no way to say definitively how many women have large labia. Many factors go into enlarged labia. Sexual intercourse, hormone changes, childbirth and genetics all contribute to enlarged labia. Some women are born with enlarged labia and will undergo a labiaplasty as a teenager. Other women find that their labia become stretched out after childbirth and make a labiaplasty part of their mommy makeover. Some women are not bothered by their enlarged labia and therefore do not talk about it. I don't know if this generalized statement helps, but you are definitely not alone.