I'm Asian I have a tolerable skin melasma - what can you recommend?

I need help with my meslama skin I'm Asian

Melasma and options.

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Treating Melasma

In our practice we have found Tri-Luma topical cream to be highly effective for the treatment of Melasma. This is a prescription, so you will need to see your doctor to receive this product. It is extremely important to couple Tri-Luma with an SPF30+ containing zinc, and to re-apply it throughout the day. Pigment does have a memory, so if you are not protecting your skin from the sun the pigment can return. Tri-luma has a mild steroid within, so it's meant to be used for a short course.