2 weeks post-op; I showered even though I'm not allowed yet, will I develop an infection?

I had breast aug surgery 14 days ago and still haven't got my stitches removed. My bandages got really wet after my brief shower I dried the bandages as best as possible. My appointment is in two days I'm worried I will develop an infection in the meantime any advice will be great. Thank you

Shower Post Op

I allow my patients to shower the second day after surgery and only thin, steri strips cover the incisions. If you have more extensive bandaging than that, it would be best not to keep it on wet. I recommend that you call your Plastic Surgeon so that they can advise you.

All the best

Breast surgery

You did not mention how the surgery was performed. Many times, the sutures are absorbable and deep to the skin.  Best to ask your surgeon.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its too early to talk about results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Showing after breast surgery

Generally I allow my patients to shower the day after surgery. If your bandages got wet you should be fine.  However if you have any questions you should call your plastic surgeon.   

Lawrence Rosenberg, MD
Lutherville Timonium Plastic Surgeon

Showering after breast augmentation?

In my experience of over 3,000 breast augmentations over the last 23 years, I have always let my patients shower the very next day. I have never had a perioperative infection after breast augmentation. Certainly each surgeon is going to have their own opinion on this. There has been recent literature in plastic surgical wounds showing no difference in infection with early showering. Don't fret. I think you'll be just fine. Congratulations on your surgery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Your incisions should be fully sealed and not at risk for showering. However it is not good to have wet bandages on a new wound. Notify your surgeon. Take your bandages off and let incisions dry.

Showering Too Soon After Breast Augmentation

The best thing you can do is to contact your plastic surgeon immediately to make sure there hasn't been any damage or increased potential for infection from your breast augmentation. After two weeks, a shower is not likely to hinder your healing process, but again, it's always a good idea to check in with your surgeon. Best of luck!

Michael Chiaramonte, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Leaking 2 weeks post op

If you have ANY drainage from your breast augmentation incisions 2 weeks after surgery, you should call your surgeon's office immediately and see them that day. It may be fine but it could mean an infection. An infection with a breast augmentation can be a really big deal and it is time sensitive to take care of. Best wishes!

I showered even though I'm not allowed yet, will I develop an infection?

Always best to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions. After all, he/she may have reasons behind the recommendations and is ultimately responsible for your care. Having said that, it is very unlikely that any harm has or will be done. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Showering

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon is different in how they want their incisions managed.  I let my patients shower fairly soon after surgery.  By two weeks you should be fine and the incisions should be ok if they got wet. I would double check with your surgeon if they want to do something about your bandages.  All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon