I would like to get gyno surgery, but I have sent photos to a doctor and he says I shouldn't do it. What do you think? (Photo)

Hello ,I have used anabolic steroids in the past and I have had since then puffy nipples and a lump .I would like to get gyno surgery ,but I have sent photos to a doctor and he says i shouldn't do it as he thinks if he takes it out I might be left with "holes" in my chest .Since I got really lean my nipples have gotten smaller but I would like them to look normal and I would like to have the surgery .I have attached some pics .I want a second opion

Doctor Answers 5

Gynecomastia Concern with Previous Steroid Use

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
The treatment of gynecomastia involves removing the tissue that is causing the chest to look puffy or enlarged. In most cases this involves removing 100% of the breast tissue. However, sometimes a very small amount of tissue may need to be left behind to avoid any contour abnormalities. For this reason, it is always discussed with patients that if they continue steroid use after surgery there is a chance that gynecomastia may return, albeit to a lesser degree.
As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Delicate gynecomastia surgery

You are a candidate for a very conservative delicate glandular reduction under your aureoles .   You are puffy and quite red.    Possibly laser treatment to reduce the red may also be useful.    My Best,   Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Gynecomastia Surgery?

Yes, anabolic steroid can cause you to develop true gynecomastia, which can be felt/seen as a lump beneath your nipple. Correction would involve removing this tissue through a small incision at the border of your areola. Removing this tissue has the potential for leaving a hollow space behind which could result in a depression under your nipple/areola. A surgeon who is experienced at doing this surgery will anticipate this  problem and will reposition the surrounding tissues to fill in the hollow area and thus prevent this sort of depression.

Braden C. Stridde, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

You have puffy nipples and surgery is ok if you suffer from your condition

How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.So be extremely careful choosing the right Plastic Surgeon at the beginning.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

You should do it

Surgery will benefit you. Go and see a surgeon in person. Photo consultations are not the best way to go about it.

Vasdev Rai, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.