Breast wound not healing - pain and hole getting bigger. (photo)

Still waiting for a letter from the hospital... I wish I could go private but no funds... starting with pain only on the wound area... the hole seems to b getting bigger.. I was advised to put savlon cream on the wound and was advised to give up smoking and the black on the implant is mould due to smoking... I have give up smoking for last few days now so at least 1 thing gr8 has come from this. Ok shall I walk in the hospital at A+E?? I feel so cheeky + embarrassed but I don't know what to do

Wound Healing

Thank you for your question and sharing your photos. You need to see your plastic surgeon immediately. It is likely that you may have to remove these implants. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Wound Healing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Breast Wound Not Healing- Pain and Hole Getting Bigger

Please contact your Plastic Surgeon immediately. Unfortunately, your implant will likely have to be removed in order for you to heal. Smoking certainly impairs healing.

All the best

All the best

Exposed implant

Sadly, the darkness appears to be your actual implant coming through your wound.  You should seek medical attention immediately - either a local plastic surgeon, or your local emergency department (in a hospital with plastic surgeons).  I believe the implant needs to be removed, then allow your body to heal for several months before considering when to get it replaced.  All the best at this stressful time.

Exposed implant

Breast wound not healing - pain and hole getting bigger.

Please do not be embarrassed and go to the hospital and seek proper medical care.   It appears that her implant has extruded and its exposed.  The implant needs to be removed at appropriate antibiotics started, please do not weight seek medical care.  The surgeon who performed your breast augmentation should be willing to see you for this emergency.

Breast Not Healing

Hi, Aaliyah888.  I am very sorry to see that you are having this problem.  Please put all feelings of embarrassment aside -- you have a complication that happens and you need to have it treated immediately.  Hopefully the "black" appearance is actually just the implant -- when it is in your body, it will look black when viewed through a skin opening.  Once removed, the implant will be clear if it is saline and yellow-gold or whitish-clear if it is silicone.  It is possible to develop a mold infection inside an implant, usually saline.  Fortunately, this is very rare. Continuing to hold off on smoking will be imperative in the healing period, and I am glad that you have done so thus far.  Best of luck!

Breast Not Healing

Implant exposure

Based on your photo, it appears that your implant is exposed and is considered infected as a result.  You should follow up with the surgeon who placed it, or another qualified plastic surgeon, so that it can be removed as soon as possible.

Implant exposure

Hi there, 

Thank you for your question. You need to visit your surgeon immediately and be treated. 

realdrsix 

Hi there, 

realdrsix 

Breast wound not healing

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Your photograph and description indicates that this open wound is your implant and will need immediate medical attention.  Best of luck.

Breast wound not healing

Exposed Implant

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. You have an exposed implant, that's what the black hole is. This is very dangerous and you need to have this removed immediately or your can develop VERY bad infection. This will not heal on its own, and unfortunately your implant will have to be removed for a certain period of time. I'm sorry this happened to you and there is no reason to feel embarrassed, you just need to have this taken care of to preserve your health. Best of Luck - Dr. Hardy...

Exposed Implant

Implant exposure

Please see your local plastic surgeon for implant removal. This is due to implant coming out of the incision and will not get better. This is urgent and can cause infection if not removed.

Implant exposure