Do you think there is anything wrong with my implants? (photos)

I am 4 weeks post op, I had 295cc moderate profile over the muscle, the left breast has always been more swollen but I'm noticing they still look quite false and they do look different sizes and are very uneven when I raise my arms, I'm worried something is wrong, is the left still too high or has the right dropped too much? not much swelling anymore, don't see surgeon for another 3-4 weeks

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

It looks like they are perfect with your arms down, when you raise your arms the muscle causes a difference in displacement of the implants. Distortion is possible with muscle flexing. Do not displace them early on. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon. They look great in the normal position of arms down. Enjoy your new look...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

BA final results

Hello,  thank you for sharing your questions. You need to wait a few more months to see the final outcome.   The BA surgery and all breast surgeries tends to change over the course if the first 12 months.   Perhaps you have uneven implants pockets as well.  Have a great day.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Implants at 4 weeks

At 4 weeks, it is still very early in the healing process and you have to give it more time to settle.

Is anything wrong with my implants?

At four weeks it can be hard to tell, though it is typical for each to settle and shape at a different rate. Discuss the progress with your surgeon, and at six months you will know more.

Asymmetric at 1 Month Post Op

Thank you for your question and photos. It is not unusual for the breasts to feel different and settle a bit differently at this stage post op. The drop & fluff process takes between 2-6 months. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know you have concerns and if you have pain or increased firmness in one breast they will likely want to see you sooner. It may take a few more months for you to see balanced results.
All the best

Do you think there is anything wrong with my implants

Thank you for your questions. Please wait 3 months, as they heal and descent differently after implant surgery. Reevaluate after 3 months and express your concerns to your PS. 

Concerns over Breast Asymmetry 4 weeks post-op

Thank you for your question and photos.

From the photos, it is clear that there is mild asymmetry between the breasts.

Please do not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder.

There are somethings I would like you to note:
  • It is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.
  • Any asymmetry that existed in breasts before surgery will continue to exist as breast augmentation only works to increase size of the breasts, and it does not fix asymmetry.
  • Over the muscle implant placement does provide a more “augmented” look rather than a natural look because the implant is able to apply direct pressure.
  • You may perceive a size difference between breasts because of either unequal swelling, pre-existing size differences, or because of the implants are sitting at different levels of the chest. It could also be a combination of these. 

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

For now, maintain strict follow-up with your surgeon and share your concerns. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast implants can become uneven as they settle.

While your incisions have healed, your body is still adjusting even 4 weeks after your breast augmentation. Your skin and tissues need time to stretch and accommodate your breast implants. It can take up to 6 months for your breast implants to fully settle. During that time, one implant may drop quicker and have less swelling than the other. It's very normal for breasts to heal at different speeds. Keep an eye on your breast implants for the next couple months, then talk with your plastic surgeon if the unevenness doesn’t resolve.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD