7 wks out following open rhinoplasty and my nose is crooked! Can this be fixed or how long might I see an improvement? (photo)

I had open rhinoplasty with oesteostemies. My cast was left on for 12 days and on removal I believe my nose looked crooked. I raised this to my surgeon and was told to wait it out while it settles which I am trying to do. However, the left of my nose is great but the right looks crooked, it feels hard like bone or cartilage and not swelling? Is there any chance that it could be swelling that feels hard? Or has something gone wrong? How can this be fixed or how long might I see an improvement?

Bump after Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!  I would follow your surgeon's advice with this, and simply wait for everything to settle.  At 7 weeks, you will still have quite a bit of swelling because of the surgery, which will settle with time.  Sometime, a small raised area will form that can be treated with a steroid injection; however, at this point, it would be early to do this.  Keep discussing your concerns with your surgeon.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Post Op

Follow your surgeon's recommendation of waiting for the nose to settle.  It takes weeks to months for the swelling to subside.  It is too soon to see the final result.  If needed, a revision is usually done several months to a year following surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty

At this point, you are still healing and will need more time to recover and allow for the swelling to subside.   Best of luck.

7 weeks pot op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

You are still very early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon