Is my skin renewing too quickly on my face? I'm getting a lot of pimples lately.

I've always had very dry skin all over my body most of my life due to childhood excema, but controlled it with good moisturising. Over the last few years I've started to rub the skin on my face in the shower when wet like exfoliating the top layer of skin. This has always given me glowing skin and people aways say how nice my skin is. Now I can't have a wash without doing it or my skin is dry and flakes!! I've now started getting lots of pimples on my forehead and my skin doesn't feel nice!

New onset acne?

Acne is one of the most common skin diseases. It is often mistakenly thought to affect exclusively the teenaged group. However, a significant number of patients either continue to experience acne or develop new-onset acne after the teenaged years. 

People of all ages can get acne, including newborns and older adults. 

It involves the oil glands around each hair. Hairs grow from a "follicle," which can become plugged by oil. Once the follicle is plugged, germs invade and cause bumps that can fill with pus and become red, swollen, and sometimes painful.

Acne can range from mild to very bad! 

Some topical (applied to skin) products won't really treat very severe acne. 

Acne is most common on the face, back, neck, and chest. There is no cure for acne, but you can treat the symptoms by keeping hair follicles from getting plugged. Once a bump has formed, you can use medicines that help with the redness and swelling.

The most common type of acne medicine is a cream or gel that you put on your skin. Many of these can be bought without a prescription. These medicines may help if your acne is mild. Benzoyl peroxide is the most common type. It is in most over-the-counter acne medicines.

If over-the-counter medicines don't work, your doctor can prescribe other types of medicine. These are usually antibiotics or retinoids. These medicines can cause dryness or redness. If this becomes a problem for you, your doctor can tell you ways to make your skin feel better.

If you have very bad acne, your doctor may prescribe pills. You may need to take these for several months before your skin gets better. If you do seek assistance from a doctor, it is important for them to explain the range of acne--from mild to severe, inflammatory and noninflammatory--and the approaches to treatment. 

Because acne is such a common condition, there are many treatments out there. Some are supported by data, others aren't. Some treatments are expensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are better. Overall, give response to treatment some time. How much time? Depends on the severity of your acne, and can range from weeks to months. 

New pimples need to be looked at

If your skin care regime hasn't change, I suggest seeing a skin specialist for this. It can be complicated with your eczema to treat. Rerun A or Retinol is usually used to help with acne. Chemical peels can also help. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD