Sensitivity in my chest. Any suggestions?

Is it normal to have your nipple or both of your nipples be hypersensitive after augmentation mine are super sensitive almost to the point of painful dr. Says not to worry about it is this normal

This is not unusual and will get better. Ask your surgeon about desensitization of the area so that it does not last as long.

Nipple sensitivity

Yes, some women develop hypersensitivity after surgery. Often this improves with time, but if it does not, you might need to see a pain management doctor for treatment.

Nipple sensitivity

Congratulations sd683 on your augmentation! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had and what your sensitivity was like even before the operation. If things continue to  get worse or you have concerns, it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Best of luck, MMT

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Sensitivity

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your breast augmentation surgery. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It is not uncommon to have hypersensitivity. The sensory nerves to the nipple are stretched during dissection of the pocket and placement of the implant. This may either cause increased or decreased sensitivity initially, but usually returns to normal within a few weeks. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Hypersensitive nipples after breast augmentation

Sometimes the nerve to the nipple is temporarily stretched during surgery. While it’s healing, there may be a short-term, annoying increase in sensation for about six weeks before the nerve returns to normal. For most women, there is no permanent increase, decrease, or loss of nipple sensation. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitivity after breast augmentation

Dear sd683:
Hypersensitivity after breast augmentation is very common, so is decreased sensation (hyposensitivity.) In general the former often normalize with time. Some hyposensitivity gets better while other do not improve much. This is generally due to the stretching of sensory nerve.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery! After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants. This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling. These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time. Hang in there! 

Sensitivity in my chest.

Thank you for your inquiry! It is absolutely normal to feel abnormal sensations in the breast in the post-operative period. These sensory nerves are often altered during the operation but usually reside back to the natural state over time. I have found that having my patients lightly massage the nipple areolar complex with moisturizer helps desensitize the nerve ending that are over-reactive. It may be tender at first but over time it teaches those nerve endings to not be so reactive. Hope this helps!

Hypersensitivity can Occur for Awhile after Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation #breastimplants

• Some women definitely have hypersensitivity of the nipples after their breast augmentations.
  • This usually goes away after a couple weeks, but sometimes can last a month. 
  • Some of my patients have worn nipple covers to help lessen the chance their nipples will rub on their bras/clothing. 
  • Hang in there!
  • Thanks for sharing!

Nipple Sensation after Breast Aug

Thank you for your question. It is very normal to have sensory changes after surgery, whether it is hypersensitivity or decreased sensation. The majority of patients sensation will return to normal within a few weeks or so. Best, Dr. Kludt