When will the pain subside, is this normal? 365cc under muscle.

I'm Day 2 (had my op Saturday morning) it is now Monday evening, yesterday wasn't too bad, but today has literally floored me. I can't move my arms hardly without having horrible muscle spasms, my back/shoulder blades are so sore and achey. I can't do anything for myself (can't get out of bed myself or even pull my own pants up) I'm currently taking 2x cocodamol, every 6 hours and my antibiotic 4 times daily. I have been given a breast band to wear for 2 weeks. How long will this pain last?

Thank you for sharing your question and experience and I am sorry to hear of your pain.  Though each patient heals differently, and your symptoms are not uncommon it may be best to discuss this with your operative surgeon to ensure no other issues are taking place.  Your surgeon may be able to offer alternative recommendations for medications to improve your symptoms while providing reassurance that your healing continues appropriately.  Hope this helps.

Muscle spasma

I would recommend Mg Malic acid for this up to four times a day along with a muscle relaxer such as Valium.  You may have an underlying magnesium deficiency which is exacerabeted by antibiotics and surgery.

Susan Kolb, MD

Usually the maximal swelling occurs somewhere between 48-72 hours so your symptoms are not unusual after breast augmentation.  If you feel that one of your breast is significantly larger or your pain persists or if you have any concerns, call your surgeon.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Postop Pain

It is common to experience increased pain on the second day after surgery. After the first couple days after surgery, the anesthetic used during your procedure will wear off and you will want to manage your pain at home with medication prescribed by your doctor. Because every person heals at their own pace and has their own pain tolerance, it is difficult to say when you will be pain-free. As your body recovers from surgery, your pain level will decrease, along with any bruising and swelling related to the procedure. If you do not feel your medication is managing your pain, contact your board-certified plastic surgeon for another option for your regimen and to make sure that the pain is not due to other complicating factors after surgery like a hematoma. It is important that you are as comfortable as possible postoperatively to allow your body to heal. Congratulations on your new procedure, and I wish you luck in your recovery!

Post Op Discomfort

Back/neck pain is common after surgery and sometimes can feel worse than pain in the breasts. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about relief methods and medication. Typically patients report that most pain and soreness has subsided by 2 weeks post op. Most likely you will turn the corner at 1 week.
All the best

Recovery after BA surgery

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery! It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon your specific concerns and what may be causing your discomfort. Usually the first week is reserved for rest and overall recovery, but the recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Still, it is best to go see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a checkup if you are experiencing severe and any unusual symptoms.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pain from breast augmentation generally begins to improve about 4-7 days after surgery, though recovery is different for everyone.  If the pain you are experiencing is not lessened by the use of the pain medication you need to speak with your surgeon for other suggestions or changes to the medication regimen.  It may be helpful to add a muscle relaxer for the spasms you are having.

Camille Cash, MD

Pain after BA

The discomfort usually is the worst the first 2-4 days and then begins to subside.  Ice packs and a prescription for a muscle relaxer may be of benefit.  You should talk with your surgeon for their recommendation.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon