Too much nostril show? (Photos)

I wanted some advice. After rhinoplasty my nostrils show too much picture does not do justice. I just wanted to know will the nostril show improve with time? I really hate my new nose I am very upset. It has been 3 weeks. I know there is swelling but I can't see it changing drastically. It seems a bit pinched from one side. Please advise me! My surgeon is hard to get hold of. Thank you in advance

Concerned about postoperative results

Hello Ria223,

I am sorry to hear that you are upset, but this early postoperative it is difficult to draw any final conclusions.  Your nose will continue to heal and contour over time, and you need to allow 6-12 months for a "final" result.  That being said, I would schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.  I hope that helps!

All my best!  Dr. Elizabeth

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only an opinion.  See in person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

3 weeks after rhinoplasty

There is a lot of anticipation when the nasal splint comes off, that one will see a perfect nose. Unfortunately it does not wok that way. Often there are mold marks from the bandage when it first come soff. Generally 80% of the swelling is gone by the end of the second week. The remainder slowly disappears over the course of the year. I would encourage you to set up a meeting with your doctor to discuss your concerns. 

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results

I can hear your frustration and I know that you don't want to hear this, but 3 weeks is way, way to early to be judging your final results. Your nose is still swollen and your body is still healing. For now, be patient and kind to yourself. I would also suggest that you schedule an appointment to see your surgeon. Make a fuss if you have to, but follow up care is part of your procedure. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.

You are still quite early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD