What kind of breast surgery do I need? (Photo)

I was very overweight as a child/teenager. I have managed to lose the weight but I've been left with a flabby chest, excess skin & huge nipples. What kind of procedure do I need & what kind of result can I expect. I had surgery in 1994 on the NHS in 1994 with unsatisfactory results. This has haunted me my whole adult life & really need to get it sorted out. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

I think you would do great with...

...liposuction and a periareolar mastopexy that should tighten your skin and make your nipple-areolar smaller.  I don't think you would be satisfied with the results of many of the skin tightening procedures.  We use ThermiRF and it works great, but without removing some skin and tightening things, I think you wouldn't be totally satisfied.  Hope this helps.

-JGH

What kind of Breast Surgery do I need?

You will benefit most from Liposuction especially using VASER or similar technology coupled with Gland Excision. Areola reduction will also be helpful in getting a proper contour. Based on your photographs, I do not think further skin excision will be required. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure will be a physical examination. Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who can help you with your problem.

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

What Kind of Breast Surgery do I need?

Thank you for your question. I am very happy for you to have lost the weight and keep it off. So there may be several options for you. Firstly you can have a areola reduction to lessen the size of you areoles. Then with respect to the skin and chest wall. You may need ultrasound liposuction which can help reduce the fatty tissue and cause skin tightening. We use that in gynecomastia cases all the time. I do not know that you have gynecomastia without an exam, you may simply just have male enlarged breasts with regular fatty tissue vs the thicker gynecomastia tissue. If you have enough lose skin that will not contract down on it's own with liposuction you may need a skin reducing procedure which does require multiple scars on the chest. It is simply the only way to get rid of extra skin beyond what normal contraction you may get with liposuction. You truly need an in office exam as direct examination is the only way someone can give you the best advice with hands on. Good luck in you journey and I think you can have a great result if you find the right surgeon and you two lay out and manage your expectations. It is very important that you understand what you want and what is possible may not be achievable. So if you can accept somewhere in between then you will be very happy. Again, this can only be determined by talking to you and having a consult for a hands on exam. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Male Breast Reduction Techniques and the Lasting Effects

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments.There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.  The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and re-positioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period.  Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Male breast reduction

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you would be best suited with a male breast reduction procedure to improve the appearance of your chest.  However, an in-person evaluation is needed to determine if liposuction alone or gland excision as well is required.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast reduction surgery

Thank you for your question and photos. It will be most helpful to you to see a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person. They will examine you, discuss your aesthetic goals and provide options. You may want to consider a lift procedure and liposuction  which would remove excess skin and  resize areolas.

All the best

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the question and the photos and if you have pseudo-gynecomastia then liposuction alone or coupled with an areola reduction may do the trick. If, however, it is gland then a resection would be needed.  Either way an examination is needed.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Gynecomastia correction

You have typical gynecomastia which would require liposuction, possible resection of the breast tissue, and a small periareolar mastopexy. Without the mastopexy you would probably have sagging skin.