Can you become immune to Botox?

I am 20 years old and have been having Botox since I was 18 as I had really bad frown lines that bothered me. As I have been having it done from a really young age can it cause problems in the future? Also could I become immune?

Botox immunity

It is extremely rare to become immune to the Botox . Over time you could develop resistance and have decreased results. It is better if it is performed by a certified dermatologist/ health care professional . You can discuss with your doctor for different products .Hope that helps. 

Montreal Dermatologist

Botox Immunity

Thank you very much for your question. While extremely rare, there is a small chance that someone will develop resistance to Botox. Starting Botox injections at the age of 18, however, should not cause any problems in the future. For the safest and most satisfying Botox treatments, it is important that you only use an experienced, board certified provider. If you still have questions, I recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon to further discuss these concerns.   

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Botox Resistance

Hi Elizabeth, 

Botox will not cause long term negative effects. If injected properly, there should only be the intended positive outcome of fewer/softer lines and wrinkles. It is rare for you to build immunity, but it is possible for it to become less effective over time, as your body can begin to recognize it as a foreign body and break it down quicker. 

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician

Botox Alternative--Try Xeomin or Dysport

I find it extremely rare for botox to stop working in patients and resistance is really rare. I suggest you speak to your dermatologist or plastic surgeon or try another product like dysport or xeomin. Best, Dr. Emer.

Antibodies to Botox

• Although theoretically possible, I have not seen this in my own practice.  I do have patients that over the years have required more Botox for the desired clinical effect.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Immunity

Thank you for your question! Building immunity to Botox is rare, but possible. My nurse injector, Annie Bruno, RN and myself both advise our patients to space neurotoxin treatments out at least 90 days between procedures, and to dose only to the needs of the patient (in other words, not adding more units than necessary for the custom wrinkles of their face). Some patients also switch back and forth between Dysport and Botox as a way to air on the side of caution for the same concerns you have expressed. That being said, Botox has been studied and approved by the FDA as a safe medication, and if used correctly should only deliver desirable outcomes and drastic improvement in the quality of the skin. Neurotoxins are one of the best procedures a patient can perform for preventative purposes and to preserve the integrity of the skin, long term. I hope this is helpful to you!

Be well,

Dr. Todd Hobgood, MD

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long term use of Botox can lead to antibodies

This can occur but is a rare phenomenon. It is always an antibody to the associated protein. If it occurs, you will notice less effect or less duration of the Botox. Dysport or Xeomin can be used instead. I wouldn't let this "risk" stop you from getting your Botox. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botos resistance

Over time patients do develop antibodies to botulinum toxin but mostly this is subclinical.  You may require more units in the future. Switching to another botulinum toxin will do no good as they are all botulinum toxin A

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox resistance does happen over time

It is likely that you will at some point begin to develop some resistance to Botox and will need to switch to different neuromodulator formulations or space your treatments further apart. Time will tell.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can you become immune to Botox?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Botox does not pose any long-term consequences in patients, as there are individuals that have been using the product for decades.  Albeit rare, some patients develop a tolerance or resistance to Botox and are best treated by switching to one of the other neuromodulators - Dysport or Xeomin.  Hope this helps.