I have a ruptured pip implant with silicone bleed into breast tissue and nodes. Will this be as traumatic & difficult recovery?

I had an ultra sound lumps in left breast are silicone bleed however when my plastic surgeon he stated he won't be removing them just cleaning out the original pocket. Is this right/safe? Also I had a very difficult recovery from under the muscle augmentation last time, will this be an easier process and recovery? I'm getting implants in the same size and location as I want the smoothest recovery and best results (I love the look of my previous surgery) but can't keep leaking pip's in!

Ruptured PIP Implant

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. Yes, your surgeon's recommendation sounds accurate. In terms of your recovery, it is impossible to predict as every patient is different. Just treat your body well and be kind to yourself as you recover. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Silicone implant rupture

In my experience, with ruptured silicone gel implants, a capsulectomy with removal of the scar tissue surrounding the implant material and the implant is sufficient in your case. Usually, when I have seen siliconomas, which are small segments of silicone which have left the confines of the capsule and have extended into the breast tissue, they have always been continuous in some way with the capsule. Minute amounts of silicone that are in the breast parenchyma itself are probably not removable and there is no data to suggest that we should try to do that. I think your surgeon has the exact right plan good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Attempting to remove extracapsular silicone deposits can lead to contour deformities in the breast depending on how big the deposits are and how much breast tissue that you have. Unless the deposits are large and causing problems like pain or infection, removal can create more problems than it fixes. Other than the feeling the silicone lumps, there has never been any association of extracapsular silicone in the breast tissue or lymph nodes with breast cancer or any other disease.
I believe your surgeon has given you good advice on the best treatment plan.

Ruptured PIP implants, silicone bleed

It is not technically possible to completely remove the silicone gel once it escapes the capsule and travels as far as the regional lymph nodes. What your surgeon is suggesting is the standard and correct approach to a situation like yours. As far as we know, it is also safe, and no study has till now confirmed any increased risks with the silicone from PIP implants compared to other brands.
Recovery should be easier than the first time, as long as no extensive dissection or change of pockets is planned.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured silicone implant

Sorry to hear of your ordeal.  It sounds like your plastic surgeon is offering an appropriate plan.  Typically in cases of ruptured implants, the implant is removed and the pocked washed of all contents.  It is not standard practice to dissect into the breast tissue for silicone deposits.  Usually the silicone is contained within the capsule (a layer of scar the body normally forms to wall the implant off).  As far as recovery, we are limited in this forum without specific knowledge of the operation required.  That being said, typically implant exchanges without dissection of a new pocket lead to faster recovery than what you experienced with your initial surgery. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and good luck!