Exercise after breast augmentation?

I train 6 times a week crossfit and weightlifting, it's a huge mix of gymnastics cardio and weight training,a lot of overhead lifting,I am getting Breast augmentation and wondered how long before I can return to my normal activity??

Returning to physical activity after surgery

Obviously, this would be a question that you should direct to the doctor performing your surgery.  Every doctor has his/her own protocol for when they allow the patient to resume more physical activity.  For me, three weeks following surgery is the magic number for resuming physical activity no matter what procedure I perform.

Breast Augmen

I advise my patients that on average they will fully recover 6 weeks after their breast augmentation. During this 6-week healing process, any strenuous impact on the chest muscles should be avoided. After your surgery there are about 3 days of intensity followed by another week of mild to medium soreness. Anytime the muscles are involved with releasing their attachments or putting sutures in, there is more soreness and more time is needed to heal. This would be the case in a breast augmentation where the implant is placed under the muscle. In terms of exercise, aerobic activity is limited in all surgery for the first 10 days, as elevation of blood pressure could cause bleeding. At 2 to 3 weeks you can resume isolated low weight/ high repetition maneuvers like working biceps/triceps curls and hamstrings/quad repetitions. Breast augmentation below the muscle requires no heavy lifting, push-ups, or any strenuous impact on the chest muscle (pectoralis) for 4 to 6 weeks. Be sure to discuss your recovery post-op with your board-certified surgeon for a personalized recommendation. 

Jay Burns, MD

Exercise after surgery

Crossfit is quite intense, so for that reason I think you should hold off for a minimum of 6-8 weeks and slowly ease yourself back into your regular routine. But it’s best to ask your surgeon.

Exercise after breast augmentation?

I would start exercising very light and slowly after 3-4 weeks. No pectoralis muscle exercises for 8 weeks though. The lower fibers of the muscle near the sternum have been severed, and you risk injuring the muscle that soon after surgery. In fact, I have seen patients that started programs like crossfit or tough personal trainers years after breast implants, and they formed encapsulations. One recent patient was 27 years later. Pectoralis exercises definitely can cause this problem. No problems with shoulder, glutes back, legs, ab exercises as far as I have seen. Female body builders almost uniformly have encapsulations.
Thank you for your question, and be sure to exercise smartly.

Routinely, a very physically active patient may return to the gym in about 4-6 weeks. When resuming exercise the activity should be gradual as tolerated. 

Exercises and surgery, some advices:

Thanks for the question.Generally speaking, the average gf Breast Augmentation patients exercises tend to allow two weeks after PO, gradually: first, gentle walks without sweating, then, you can go to the gym to do aerobics, and, after four months you can stats with machines excercise and start with light weights, and, if there are no problems, only six months after PO may charge "free weights".Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Implants and exercise

I recommend to my patients that in most cases they can start light aerobics by about 3-4 weeks and possibly vigorous exercise by 6-8 weeks.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Exercise after breast augmentation?

Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively.  Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the  pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press,   burpees,  dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months.  Best wishes.

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before running or exercise. It's best to be sure that everything is healed. There is always a chance of causing bleeding if you start much before that time. When you start, listen to your body. You will be a little out of condition and a bit sore. But you will get back to where you were before surgery very quickly. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Exercise post breast augmentation

Thank you for your question!In my practice, I advise patients no exercise for the first 3 weeks and do not raise your heart rate to an exercise level.  After 3 weeks, you can do light lower body exercise; treadmill, bike, elliptical (with no arms). After 6 weeks, you can start exercising from the waist up.  I would definitely wait until after 6 weeks because Crossfit sounds intense. Always listen to your plastic surgeon's post op instructions and best of luck with your procedure and recovery!

Fred Hackney, MD