Am I eligible for labiaplasty/clit reduction? How much would this cost? (photos)

I am really embarrassed of my enlarged labia and feel it hangs down a lot. I also feel I have a really large clitoris. What procedure would be best for me and how much would I cost? Thanks

Labiaplasty and clitoralpexy and clitoral hood lift

Dear Hunface;

Thanks for sharing photos and your questions.  After evaluating the photos I doubt that you need a clitoral reduction but instead what you need is a clitoralpexy with a clitoral hood lift and labiaplasty.   Now remember no one "needs" these surgeries but instead these are personal decisions based upon your feelings about your anatomy.   Again this is based upon my evaluation of your photos and my assessment might change with an actual exam .  Please feel free to contact my office to discuss costs of:  1) labia minora reduction 2) clitoral hood lift and 3) clitoralpexy.  I hope this helps.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty

It seems from your photos that you would be an excellent candidate for a labia minora and clitoral hood reduction. Be sure to choose a Board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Labiaplasty. This is an important fact to remember when choosing a surgeon

Labiaplasty

Hello dear, 

as your photos need a labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction increased more labia majora, and you can get in to see the average cost for you guies.

Miriam Luciano, MD
Dominican Republic OB/GYN

Labiaplasty: A Personal Decision

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with an enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  Your reason for wanting a labiaplasty is reasonable and a common reason among women.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.    Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Eligible for labiaplasty...?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter. 

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Am I eligible for labiaplasty/clit reduction? How much would this cost?

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you area candidate for labiaplasty. Cost varies from region to region. Usually around 5000.00

Labiaplasty

From your photos you would be a good candidate for a labia minora and clitoral hood reduction. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal. Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. Others do not like their labia's overall appearance.  In either instance, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing, while a clitoral hood reduction can remove the excess tissue to leave a smoother overall appearance.   A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who could perform a physical exam, would be able to give you a more definitive opinion and costs will vary based on the procedures you select.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

Based on your photographs, it appears you are a good candidate for a labiaplasty to remove that excess tissue. It is a simple procedure which can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. The cost varies depending on your location and the surgeon. I can tell you that the RealSelf average cost is between $4,000 and $5,000 and many offices also offer payment plans such as CareCredit so this is something to consider asking about during your consultation.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
 Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Am I candidate for Labiaplasty

Yes, your labia minora (inner lips) protrude past the labia majora (outer lips). The clitoral hood is also excessive and should be reduced at the same time. Most women who have this issue have some form of discomfort, either with sex, tight fitting clothes, or exercise. It is very important to have the correct surgical approach as you want scarring minimized and no deformity. From the pictures I believe the labia majora would benefit from fat grafting. This would puff them up slightly, smooth them out, and help conceal the inner labia. All this can easily be done under local anesthesia with minimal down time

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon