Will eating more protein and drinking extra fluids help my healing process?

Will this speed up my recovery?

Thank you for your excellent question. It is always important to maintain a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein sources to give your body the necessary building blocks to heal after any injury or surgery.  As surgery places your body into a breakdown state for the first few days it is important to maintain your nutrition until your body rebuilds itself.  Hope this helps.

Healing process

Protein is very important during the healing process as it provides energy for your body to recovery.   On occasion, we occasionally recommend supplemental vitamin C and Zinc to facilitate healing, too.  However, if you have a healthful diet, significant supplementation with protein is probably not necessary.  Drinking fluids, especially water, is essential for good skin health.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon