Can this dermal filler be removed? (Photo)

Last September I had botox and Emervel dermal filler to disguise my jowls and try to address lack of jawline definition. I am now considering neck and face lift surgery for a more permanent result. Will I need to wait until the filler needs to be redone before the surgery? Or could it be removed in order to have surgery? Also if the filler was still there, would it compromise the surgical results?

Can this dermal filler be removed?

Thank you for your question and photograph.  As one of the hyaluronic acid based fillers Emervel can be dissolved with another injectable medication called hyaluronidase.  That said after 8 months little of the filler should be present and a facelift and jaw lift could be performed without removing the residual filler without compromising results.  Hope this helps.

Surgery after fillers is pretty normal

Emervel is a hyaluronic acid filler manufactured by Galderma, the makers of Restylane, and available for use in Europe. According to their literature, Emervel is indicated to last a year or more in patients, so you should still have filler in place, given that it’s been less than a year. Hyaluronic Acid fillers can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase; surgical excision is not recommended.

However, it should not affect your surgical procedures’ results whatsoever.

Mitchell Chasin, MD
Livingston Physician

Can dermal filler be removed?

Thank you for your question. Yes, dermal filler can be removed with hyaluronidase treatments. In some cases a surgeon will remove your filler before surgery. Let your surgeon know where you have filler and he/ she can decide. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Surgery after filler

The filler is probably gone but even if it were present it would not preclude your having surgery. just be sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Fillers and Facelift

Facelifts can be done after fillers have been placed.   I suggest you see an expert for treatment. Best, Dr. Emer.

Can facelift be performed after dermal fillers and Botox have been injected

Thank you for sharing your question. Considering how much time has passed since your last treatment, you should be fine to have a full facelift. Inform your surgeon of the treatments. Good luck.

Filler and facelift

By this point in time, it is likely that your filler has dissolved already. It should not be a problem for your facelift. Best of luck.

Injectable Fillers and Surgical Facelift and Neck Lift

Thank you for your excellent question.  After 8 months, most of your filler is likely to be gone.  Use of fillers 8 months ago should not prevent you from considering a surgical facelift and neck lift.  If your desire is for a more permanent result, you may be a good candidate for these procedures.  I would advise you to see an experienced plastic surgeon for an in-person examination in order to best address your concerns, discuss your goals and expectations, and determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Filler removal

Your filler is mostly if not all resorbed at this point and there is nothing left to dissolve. The questions regarding what will or will not be needed to prepare for your face lift would be answered by the facial plastic surgeons you consult to perform your procedure. No other opinions matter.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon