Re: Breast Enlargement I am having trouble with nerves/anxiety. Any suggestions?

I have seen my ps twice and I have had a date for surgery twice and I have cancelled both times as I talk myself out of it and get were anxious about it all..(the op, pain,money, what people will think et ) as the date gets close. I really want to try again but I don't want to let people down. Can you advise , I was thinking of a calming tablet like 'Kalms' , .. I wouldn't be suprised if they refuse to book another date because of my history. Any help appreciated. Thanks

How to overcome the jitters?

I have found a sure fire way to help patients relieve the anxiety about surgery. First, you should know what to expect for your surgery, so we ask you to come to your pre-operative visit with all of the questions that arise at home written down on paper. It is also helpful to bring along a support person as his/her memory and curiosity may be useful. Second, we schedule a third appointment on the day before surgery to review all that we have talked about. And, third, I prescribe a mild anti-anxiety med to take on the day before surgery. It's effects will last through your surgery.

Pre op anxiety

Hi and thanks for the question. It is very common to have anxiety before surgery. The most important issue to address is whether or not you actually want the operation. If this is something that you want and anxiety is the only thing stopping you, talk with your surgeon about possibly prescribing an anxiety medication before surgery to ease your nerves. Best of Luck- Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Do not rely on anxiety medication to help you go through with breast augmentation

Breast augmentation is a wonderful, but completely elective surgery. Do not try to talk yourself into any surgery. Try to educate yourself about the operation and figure out why it is exactly that you are nervous so that you can figure out if these fears should stop you from doing the operation. There should never be any rush to do this surgery so you should ask all of the questions that you need to ask to make yourself comfortable. You should definitely not take any anxiety medication to help make your decision.

High anxiety and breast augmentation

Educate yourself about the operation and speak to your plastic surgeon about your concerns.  If you are uncertain do no go forward with this life changing operation.  Your level of anxiety seems unusual at this point.  Do the operation to give yourself improved self confidence and self-esteem not to please others. 

Anyone that is contemplating elective surgery has some second thoughts.  Take your time and write out your reasons for and against having the surgery.  This may help you sort out your thoughts of whether you really want to proceed or not.  Good luck!

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

Hi Vicki13,

Thank you for your question as this highlights the importance of trust and complete knowledge of the plan before having surgery.  I personally do not want to operate on my patients until they are comfortable and "on board" with our surgery.  Your worries are normal, and each of your concerns needs to be addressed in detail so you know how long to expect the pain and what your result will look like (as a tip find a plastic surgeon with Vectra imaging to better define what you will look like post-op).  My advice would be to give yourself more time and do not "get through" surgery with anxiety medication. 

Hunter Moyer, MD

Take your time until you are ready

Don't be afraid to take your time. Only have this procedure when you are completely ready. It is totally elective and you should have as many visits before surgery as you need until you are comfortable. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Anxious over breast aug

You for sure have a lot of anxiety.I do not charge a patient for a consult or follow up consult for that reason.I would rather have someone come in 5 times before surgery and work through their anxiety so when they do have the surgery they are totally relaxed.No pressure.It is a big decision and I do not want to push or rush a patient inot making a hasty decision.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Second Thoughts

Thank you for the question and photos. It is normal to have second thoughts just as it is normal to have buyer's remorse after surgery.  These procedures are never easy and not all people have an easy say about it.  Yes, they are elective surgeries and you don't technically "need" them.  But the main reason you are considering this option is of course to make yourself look better since if you look good, you fee good!  If you are worried about safety, then let me assure you that these cases are very safe especially when done by an experienced, and well trained board-certified plastic surgeon.  We only want what's comfortable for you and give you the best results and experience so we're not likely to rush you into doing things.  I believe if you really want something, pretty soon it's going to become a need and you are going to end up having it one way or another.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Anxiety and surgery

Surgery is a difficult decision and can be anxiety provoking. Since you have scheduled and cancelled twice, it is my opinion that you are just not ready, and that is ok. Better to cancel a procedure if you are having anxiety, then to go through it and regret your decision. I believe if and when you are truly ready for the procedure your anxiety will improve. Stop being so hard on yourself.