Breast augmentation, visible scars and crease?

I'm due to have a breast augmentation on the 11th April , I'm currently a small 34 b , my surgeon has commented that the distance between my nipple and crease under the breast is a little short and he will have to cut beneath and that the original crease if my breast could show but that this is usually pushed out by the implant . I am concerned that this crease may be visible and also that my scars will show under the breast . What are your thoughts on this? Thanks very much for your help

Breast augmentation - visible scars and crease

I think it would be wise to discuss carefully with your surgeon the placement of the scar prior to your surgery. I wish the best of luck.

Infra-mammary Fold Incision

It is common to have to lower the incision below the fold if the distance between the IMF and you nipple is short with larger implants. Specific measurements are calculated according to the breast characteristics and the size and profile of the implant. Make sure the surgeon is experienced in this approach and look at some pictures from previous procedures.

Good luck!

Lowering IMFs

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to lower the breast creases slightly for a more optimal areola/implant position. This must be done in a careful and conservative way while reinforcing the breast fold to prevent complications. It sounds like your Plastic Surgeon has discussed this and considerations with you. If you have any questions about your surgical plan it is best to ask your operating surgeon.

All the best

Double bubble deformity

Your plastic surgeon will do everything possible to avoid this appearance, however it cannot be avoided 100% of the time unless you choose a smaller implant. Talk with him about choosing a smaller implant.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Thank you for your question.  In most cases the inframammary crease can be lowered and decrease will fall beneath the breast gland and not be visible.  It sounds as though your surgeon has discussed the possible results in detail and will do his or her best to avoid a visible scar or double bubble.

Short nipple to fold distance

In patients who have little to no breast tissue and a short nipple to fold distance, I usually chose the transaxillary or periareolar incision to maximize results and minimize scarring. In my hands, the fold incision is harder to control and also needs lowering where if done too aggressively, can lead to other problems - particularly bottoming out. This will be something on an individual to individual basis and only your plastic surgeon can comment and advise you on this. Hard to definitely say without pictures or a full examination of your skin quality, base width and exact measurements. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Breast augmentation

You doctor will most like lower your IMF to establish a correct anatomic distance between the nipple and IMF.  This should leave the scar in the new IMF position therefore hiding the scar.

John Burns, MD

Double bubble

Dear Cat,
You are describing a "double bubble" deformity.  The fact that you can describe it so well means that your surgeon has described it well to you and that now you are aware of this phenomenon as a possible outcome.  It also means that he or she will be doing some things to attempt to prevent it.  Even so, it remains a possibility.  Good luck!

Breast crease

the decision for placement of the incision on the underside of the breast will be made with your measurements and the size of implant you will be receiving at surgery. lowering the crease can be done to some degree. however, in some cases it can lead to other problems after surgery. the cut will be a permanent scar, but usually these are fine line and flat to your skin. discuss this at length with your BCPS.

Breast Augmentation with a short nipple to crease distance

Photos would be helpful, but I can make some general recommendations.  It is common to see women with a short distance from the nipple to the inframammary crease.  This often necessitates lowering the crease in order to properly center the implants under the areolae.  This is especially true if larger implants are chosen.  If done properly, it is fine to lower the crease slightly.  Lowering the crease significantly, especially in conjunction with constricted breasts does put the patient at greater risk of the so called double bubble deformity.  This is essentially an old crease that is still visible.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Best of luck.  

Laurence Weider, MD