Facelift 5 months post op and getting worse (Photos)

I had a little jowls and little looseness around my jawline that I thought with a little work would enhance my appearance. I had a facelift in May this year which at first I was very happy with the way things were going. I then developed red lines going up my neck under the chin that looks like pulled strings under my skin. The swelling or fat, I didn't have before now under my chin looks not nice and I do not have any jawline defined now when I look down slightly. I am in pain when I lie down.

Problems after facelift

I agree that this is not an ideal facelift result. I would recommend you discuss this with your surgeon. A touch up or revision surgery may be necessary.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Thank you for your question. You are not finished with your healing process for the facelift and will most likely experience improvement in these symptoms as you reach the 12 month post-op mark. Please discuss your symptoms with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. Keep in mind that there are options to improve the neck and jowls alone through the innovative laser-assisted weekend necklift. Please remain patient and follow your surgeon's recommended surgery instructions as closely as possible. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

More skin in the neck region after a facelift? Revisit your surgeon

Thank you for your question and pictures.  

It is unfair to judge from pictures but it is unusual to see more excess skin post facelift surgery.  It would also be important to see more Before pictures and to know what kind of "little" lift you had.

The neck is complex and often forgotten or avoided in facelift surgery, to decrease time in the OR or the fees charged to a patient.  I trained with French and Los Angeles plastic surgeons who believed in opening the anterior neck for a comprehensive and thorough rejuvenation.  For that reason, I rarely perform a mini-facelift unless there are clear indications for such a small procedure as opposed to a more elaborate and inclusive procedure.

I would revisit your surgeon and/or get a second opinion.

Kind regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Marc DuPéré, MD

Disappointed with facelift results

If you are not happy with the results, now is the time to see your surgeon to let them know. They should have your before photos and can compare. they know what was done and to what extent. No surgery is perfect but share your thoughts. good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD

Maybe some local lipo

So a simple way to help you might be local anaesthetic liposuction under your chin. Another alternative is Kybella to dissolve any remnant fat. A fuller neck is one of the common dissatisfactions after facelift surgery but there are a number of things that can be done to improve your situation without going back to major revision surgery. 

Ask your surgeon what they think.

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin 

Adam Goodwin, MBBS, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Facial rejuvenation healing

Thank you for the question and photos.  It may be that you would need a revision to address the issues that you have described.  By this time in your recovery most of the swelling should have subsided so your results should be fairly stable going forward.  I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Use the before and after photos to show the areas of concern and what you would like improved.

Good luck with your facial rejuvenation journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Facelift results

The photos of your facelift results is difficult to assess because they  are not the standard lateral  and three-quarter view.  The lighting is also different then your preop picture.  In any event, you're disappointed with the results and it is of utmost important that she talk to your surgeon .  It depends on what type of procedure was done as well as the anatomy of your neck.  Whether or not further surgery would be beneficial can only be determined by a examination .  With the information provided it is possible that further surgery could be helpful.

Best of luck

David F. LaPatka, MD
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift 5 months post op and getting worse

It is unfortunate when you go through that surgery and are not satisfied. Most of your photos are taken with your chin tucked in and that will always cause skin to pile up so they are not of much help to us. There are more than a dozen ways to do a facelift and without access to your surgeon's operative notes we would have no idea what exactly was done. I think it is important that you be happy with your results so you will need a thorough discussion with your surgeon as to what exactly was done and why it has not reached your goal. Sometimes you just have to get copies of your operative report and seek another consultation,

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Not Happy 5 Months later Facelift

Rather than have me speculate about what was done and suggest solutions without adequate pictures I suggest you consult with your surgeon at this time. I am assuming both you and your surgeon expected a better result.

Problems after Facelift

Without examining you in person and knowing exactly what procedure you had, there is no way to give any advice. There are many ways to do a "facelift," not all achieving the desired facial and neck rejuvenation. You need to obtain the operative report from your surgery and see a plastic surgeon significantly experienced in facial and neck rejuvenation. There are good surgeons in both OKC, Tulsa and Wichita but make sure they specialize in the face and neck.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon