Labiaplasty I'm sure is totally wrong. Any suggestions? (photos)

I have just had a look at my Labiaplasty op and it looks like I have been totally mutilated. Half my clitoral hood has been cut off at one side. I have no labia left and there are gaping holes between the stitches. I put myself on anti biotics due to the smell. I am afraid I will never look normal again. I do not want to go back to the same surgeon to look. Please help.

Labial amputation labiaplasty with complete wound separation

I agree with Drs Oppenheimer, Aguirre, and Ghozland. Well-traned, experienced surgeons do not get the results you exhibit, secondary to amputation, sewing intra-vaaginal mucose (inside Hart's Line) to the inter-labial fold is a set-up for a wound dehiscence (opening), which you have experienced. Only poorly trained, "cutrate" gyn surgeons do this...

What to do? First, you should return to your surgeon for followup. I understand that you may not want her or him to touch you again, but in my opinion you really must follow up at least initially. You are still early i the recovery period. Frequently, things actually turn out OK: I am amazed at the resilience of the human body!  Give it at least 3-4 months to totally heal; even if you need a major revision, no experienced surgeon will operate less than 3/4, and sometimes 6 full months from your original procedure.HOWEVER, it is important for you to see an "integrative practitioner:" one who can work with you on sexual and body esteem isues, who can recomment local hormonal therapt to toughen & tone the skin in the area, and, if anatomically possible, effect a revision (not always feasible...)

Best wishes! Day by day; live in the present; odds are that, when healed, things will function normally.

Best wishes!

Michael P Goodman MD 

Amputation Labiaplasty

The labia minora appear to have been completely removed beyond their bases. The skin that remains on the outside is from the labia majora on the outside and the vestibule on the inside. The sutures appear to have been placed as a single crude layer and the suture lines are starting to separate because of excess tension. I see no visible infection, but this is not the appearance of a well conducted procedure by any technique. Revision will be complex, but should wait at least 6 months.

Labiaplasty I'm sure is totally wrong. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question. It is important while you're healing not to pull at the edges that are trying to heal. Allow your self time to recover and continue with post op instructions. A follow up visit with the surgeon is required to discuss your concerns.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Postoperative concerns after labioplasty

It appears that she wore quite early in the healing process after labiaplasty.  There are sutures still in place and the edges do appear to be in the early stages of healing.  I would recommend continuing with your postop instructions and returning to your doctor for the concerns here having.  The smell you described could be normal or could be an infection, so I recommend you have a follow-up with the doctor determine the best course of action. I would let a minimum healing time of 4-6 weeks before any determination as to future revision is made.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Labiaplasty revision

Based upon the photos you are very soon out from surgery. Many changes in appearance are going to take place before you can judge the final result. That being said, it is fair to seek out a second opinion as early as 2 - 3 months from now. In the meantime, be patient with the healing process and follow any/all post-operative instructions. Gkad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Dihescence of incision

I know you're upset, but you have to go back to your surgeon! He/she needs to see you to make sure there isn't an infection and then make the appropriate recommendations. This doesn't mean you have to let them operate on you again. All surgery has risks and your surgeon needs to know if you're having problems. At your visit ask for a referral if this makes you more comfortable.
At this point there isn't anything anyone can do to correct the surgery since you're still healing. Once you're finished healing and you want corrective surgery you should then look for someone with expertise in revision labiaplasty procedures.
Good luck.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

PostOp Labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  It appears as though you had a full amputation of your labias with some suture seperation.
I would share your concerns with your surgeon and give the labiaplasty some time to heal ( 3 month at minimum ) before making any other revisions.
Best of luck