Left breast swelled 6 weeks after Explant.

August 30th I had explant done in the office/local, left capsules in. 1.5 weeks ago my left breast became sensitive/bigger. went back & my surgeon drained 50 cc's of fluid/dried blood. Said that I must have injured it? Now waiting 2 weeks to see if if goes away on its own. Next step is radiologist to ultrasound and drain it/put a drain in. Will it go away on its own or would I have to have surgery to remove capsule? And it so, do they remove capsules on both sides? The right side is fine

Fluid in breast

It sounds like there is a good plan in place.  If needed the catheter can help drain the extra fluid.  If it is deemed necessary to remove the capsule, you can have it removed from just the problematic side.  As long as the other breast is healing correctly, there is no need to have that capsule removed.  Best wishes.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Left breast swelled 6 weeks after

It could be either some retained blood (that is now dissolving, and drawing in serious fluid because it is hyperosmolar - more concentrated) or your retained capsule may be generating fluid.  The simplest approach is to have an indwelling catheter or drain inserted.  It is best to do that along with washing out the cavity but if you're going to undergo surgery anyway, then you may want to consider having all or some of the capsule removed at that time, so that you're not likely to need to go back in again.  You should of course discuss this with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person, and make treatment decisions based on that.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Removal

I would imagine that your surgeon will just work on the breast with the reoccurring fluid. If the hematoma/seroma settles down quickly with the drain, you may not need additional surgery. If it persists, you will probably need surgery to remove the capsule.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

Thank you for your story, and sorry you have had such a tough time. it is hard to say what the next step may be. It is best to stay in close contact with your PS. If there was a hematoma (collection of blood) it should be ok and gone after the excess blood was removed and the bleeding stopped as long as the breast implant space closed/collapsed down. If there was/is a seroma (collection of fluid), it may re-accumulate fluid if a large thick capsule remains and a pocket of space formerly occupied by the breast implants has not been closed down. 

Benjamin J. Cousins MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fluid

Hard to say.  You need to follow closely with your surgeon and go through the steps to try to eliminate any further accumulation.  Best of luck.

Management of hematoma after implant removal

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• I am so sorry you are going through this unusual problem.
  • With something like this, you need to take it one step at a time.
  • If it is a hematoma from an injury, it should resolve on its own.
  • If it is a problem with a persistent, irritated capsule, then it won't.
  • One can't predict if you will need further surgery - at this point, you need to wait and see. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Breast Implant removal (Explant)

The capsule should be removed due to the fact that the capsule will accumulate fluid if left behind.

Can try draining under ultrasound guidance, but if the fluid continue to accumulate or the breast get deformed due to the forces of the capsule then the capsule should be removed.  If the implant was under the muscle then the muscle should be dissected and re-attached to the chest wall to re-establish normal anatomy.