I had 2 laser doctors with both same results

Had 2 Laser doctors with both same results. I have been doing treatments for over 6 years with slight improvement. Last year I told my doctor to lower settings so I don't feel the pain as hair will still grow back so might as well lessen the pain. It very minimal compared to other times and I saw a huge improvement with fine hairs nearly gone. The last time I did it was painful and all hair grew back. Like promoting growth. Settings are 24 / 8 and 24 / 9. I have dark hair and Mediterranean skin

Laser Hair Removal Not Working Well

It is difficult to give you advise when I do not know the area you are having treated. If settings of the laser are not high enough it can cause hair to be damaged but not killed. This causes the hair to become thin and harder to treat. It is best to see an expert.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Different laser providers- same results?

Ideally it would be wonderful to have access to Nd-YAG, Diode and Alexandrite lasers, as each have a role to play for different textures. Just lowering the power to make someone happy by reducing the pain is counterproductive. Hair will just thin out, will have less melanin and will therefore need more power and better wavelength like alexandrite, if your skin type allows. We see this all the time. So called painless systems are not that efficient to achieve close to 95-100% reduction. In men due to testosterone, there will be life long maintenance required. Also know that there is such a variability between different lasers and IPLs.

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician

Keep moving forward with laser hair removal--takes a series of treatments

It always takes a series of treatments for Laser Hair Removal and is dependent on each individual. You are getting results, it just seems as though you require more treatments for maintenance. Diode lasers are typically the best treatment for laser hair removal.  I typically have patients do every 4 weeks for the first 3 times and then every 4-6 weeks for 3 times after. See an expert in laser hair removal for best results. Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser hair removal not working well - possible paradoxical hair growth.

It is hard to give exact rec's without know the area treated and laser used. In your skin type, it is possible to get paradoxical hair growth from lasers. This is probably what is happening to you. If it is treating hair on the face, this is most likely the problem and I would stop treatment. If settings are not high enough, the laser will cause the hair to be damaged but not killed. The hair becomes thinner and then much harder to treat. This is an error often done when trying to decrease the pain and is actually counter productive to final results.

Steven F. Weiner, MD