Male Breast Reduction, Gynecomastia? (photo)

hai, doctor, i have gynecomastia.Now i do a lot of exercises frm 2 months for reducing man boobs,and also a proper diet.I was obses, bt now my fat get slightly reduced and my moobs also get reduced slightly.But i dont know my moobs are pseudogynecomastai or gynecomastia.only my aerol is protruding,Its very soft around my nipple area,but other regions of my chest is strong.Plz hlp me to know,can i reduce my moobs completly by workouts?? or should i go for plastic surgery

Doctor Answers 9

Surgery to Best Address Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery. Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Physical exam necessary for more accurate diagnosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Although you would have to see a plastic surgeon in person to determine if you have true gynecomastia or not, liposuction alone may be able to remove the excess fat in your chest. This helps improve the firmness of the chest area and can also enhance muscular definition. Excision of tissue may also be required.

You can try pursuing a healthy exercise and diet regimen first, as this may help.

Male breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question.

male breast prominence is typically a combination of breast tissue and fat.

it is best managed surgically,by liposuction

alone or in combination with gland removal.

do visit a board certified plastic surgeon for optimal results.

Rajesh Vasu Chokka, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction, Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

         There is a combination of fat and breast tissue, which can be improved with liposuction alone in most cases.  There is a place for direct excision of tissue, but I have not had to employ this maneuver in the last several years.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuctions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Firm gynecomastia treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can look at your photos and tell that you're going to have a good bit of dense fibrous tissue in your breast. I have not found liposuction  alone to be most effective for cases like your photos demonstrate, and have improved my results significantly by performing direct excision of the tissue through a 1. inch incision at the edge of the nipple.

Treatment Options for Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Duttu,  Unfortunately, there are no exercises that will allow you to correct your gynecomastia.  Surgical correction is the only option.  If the majority of the breast tissue is fatty, then liposuction alone may all that is needed to address the problem.  However, if there is a significant portion of the breast that is glandular in character, then an open excision may be required.

The best option at this time is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who based on your examination can help you choose the right treatment plan for you.  

Surgery for Gynecomastia Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your only option is surgery. You can not exercise off your gynecomastia. This is a build up of breast tissue that is not responsive to weight loss. 

Pseudogynecomastia or gynecomastia... Still need surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi. Thank you for your question. Even though you exercise a lot, if there's an excess of fat, or glandular tissue in your breast, then it has to be taken out by surgery. If it's just fat (pseudogynecomastia) then probably liposuction alone will do it, but if it has glandular tissue, and open approach is needed.

By your side and oblique pictures it seems clear that you have excess tissue that won't go away with exercise alone. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon to get a more detailed and personalized opinion about your case.

Rafael E. Estevez Hernandez, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon

You do suffer from gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes,You do suffer from gynecomastia. In this stage only surgery will help to eliminate your problem.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.