I'm male, 61 and have yo-yo dieted for 35 years. Decided to have a sleeve rather than a bypass, is this the right decision?

61 yo Sleeve vs Bypass

Definitely a sleeve is a good choice without the complications down the road a bypass has like malabsorption, vitamin deficiencies, osteoporosis, internal hernias, marginal ulcers etc. The sleeve gets the job done regarding weight loss and also give a good anti metabolic effect. 

Dr. Alvarez

Mexico Bariatric Surgeon

Sleeve vs. bypass for diabetes

Either gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy can be very effective in bringing about the resolution of your diabetes.  I participate in the Michigan Bariatric Surgical Collaborative Study, where we have 10s of thousands of patients in our database.  According to our data, resolution of diabetes is a little better after diabetes, but only by a few percentage points.  The down-side of gastric bypass is the higher complication rate both short and long term.  Most of my patients pick the sleeve gastrectomy.

Mark Pleatman, MD
Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon