Help me. I'm 18, male and started losing my hair when I was 15 years old.

now i'm 18, i'm a male. it started when i was 15 years old. my mother and her father have full head of hair. my father lost his hair when he was 40+. i think it's too early for me to lose my hair... please help me

18 with hair loss

It is a good idea to have your scalp examined by a physician who can evaluate the reason for your hairloss.  If it is due to AGA Male Pattern Baldness I would recommend you discuss the use of oral finasteride and topical minoxidil with your doctor.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Young man with hair loss

Once you confirm your diagnosis of genetic male hair loss from a doctor, then you should as soon as possible start a program of Finasteride, Minoxidil, Low level laser, or any combination of them. Be sure to document your progress to help you make future decisions. Must not have a hair transplant at this point

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Early onset Male hair loss

Thanks for taking the time to write!  It is tough to deal with hair loss at your young age, but, thankfully, there are many options for you.  The first step is to get an accurate diagnosis.  You may have genetic male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) even if your parents did not show it.  See a doctor who specializes in hair loss, and can rule out any other causes for your hair loss. 

Next, if it IS male pattern hair loss - start on treatment with finasteride (Propecia), minoxidil (Rogaine), low-level laser therapy (like Theradome or similar), and a shampoo like ketoconazole (like Nizoral) or zinc shampoo (like Head and Shoulders).  These treatments ALL work better the earlier you start.

Good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon