Since the Restylane works up to one year, can we get the treatment every year? Will it have any side effect?

Can we get the treatment every year

Restylane effects can last from three or four months to up to a year and a half, often depending where on the face it is injected. Many times there can be an even longer effect as your body creates more collagen in the area that has been injected. It is common to have repeat injections and this can be done without difficulty although one must also be careful to avoid over injection and an unnatural look.

Repeat Restylane treatments

It is recommended to undergo repeat Restylane treatments in order to maintain the most ideal results. Restylane can last for a year or more depending on the area being treated. Regular touchups can be done as needed. Our experience has demonstrated that additional treatments usually lead to enhanced and prolonged results since Restylane also promotes your own production of collagen and elastic fibers. Typical side effects associated with Restylane are temporary swelling, numbness or redness around the injection site, however these are minimal. It is always best to undergo Restylane treatments from a board-certified dermatologist who is an expert injector.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Repeat Injections

Restylane is a great product for facial injections and the results last from six to nine months.  It is not unusual for patients to return once or twice a year for injections.  There is no problem with repeat injections.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Restylane injections.

Restylane results

Restylane lasts about 6 months, but with one or two touchups, it can last up to 18 months. You can certainly get the treatment performed every year, and you may find that your results last longer with regular treatments. The side effects are similar to if you had a treatment performed just once.

Yes, it is common to have Restylane injections every year.

Thank you for your question. Yes, it is common to have Restylane injections every year. You can assess when you are ready for another injection and schedule a consultation with your injector to be evaluated.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Since #Restylane lasts up to one year, can #treatment be repeated safely every year?

This is a very common practice. On occasion people will have filler last longer than one year or seemingly develop some collagen growth which results in long term improvement in the treated area. However, it is fairly routine to have hyaluronic acid dermal filler treatments repeated every 6-12 months. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane treatments

Restylane treatments can safely be performed every 6 to 12 months as needed.  It is best to re-treat before the Restylane has completely gone so you can have consistent results.  Adding to existing Restylane can also give longer-lasting results.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Why not?

I have patients that love fillers, come in frequently, and stay corrected without any problems.  Restylane is as safe as they come, but you still have to sign the consent form every time you get a filler and take the basic risks every time.

Adrian M. Guevara, MD
El Paso Dermatologist

Restylane Re-Treatment

You certainly can have re-treatment after one year. This is a fairly standard practice. In the vast majority of
cases there are no problems, since it is quite rare for a patient to develop antibodies to the hyaluronic acid fillers. 
  There are many variables as to how long a filler will last. These would include individual variation, where the filler is being placed, the skill of the injector, enzymatic factors, the lifestyle of the patient, etc.
  For instance, if the filler is injected in an area without much underlying muscular tension, such as the lateral cheek, or a scar, the effect of the filler will be prolonged. Injection of the filler, in say the area overlying the orbicularis oris muscle, in a motor-mouth who feels compelled do go on rants or a chatty, gossipy individual who enjoys informing the public about every detail in their lives and the lives of others...well the filler is just not going to last nearly as long. Fillers in the lip have the shortest life. 
  It is the contention of some experts in the field that if the filler is injected too deeply into the sub-cutaneous layer,the filler dissipates quicker. This may be due to a better blood supply in this area. My friend and colleague, Dr. Helmut Tilsch, has long maintained, that superior injectors, obtain better long term results because they inject into the dermis rather than the sub-cutaneous layer, which lies under the dermis.    It also seems that those who have a vigorous lifestyle, say as an aerobics instructor, or a marathon runner, break down their filler at a much higher rate than more sedentary folks. Similarly, older patients, whose metabolism is slower may break down their filler at a delayed pace. I guess, one of the few benefits of getting older. 
  The companies that manufacture these products, advise touch-ups BEFORE the filler has dissipated. This may have some truth in it and not just a marketing concept. When performing injections, I will go back and forth with the needle once I am under the skin ( since the pain fibers and receptors are close to the skin surface and not deeper, and the products contain Lidocaine, this is not a painful procedure). I regard this as a horizontal derma needling technique. This creates disruption of collagen which will be replaced by new collagen, a process called neo-collagenesis. This causes the filler to last longer. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Restylane

Restylane is a very well tolerated hyaluronic acid.
Correction will typically last up to a year and can last longer.
Re-treatment can be done on a touch up basis before a year or a complete re-treatment after all of the products has dissipated. Restylane has been around for nearly a decade in the US and longer in Europe-
it has a superb safety track record-
there are no long term side effects.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon